What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front baggage door weather seal?

LyleM

The instruction say to use Temper Foam to weather seal the hinge area, but doesn't say how to secure it. Would clear RTV work? Is there something else that works as good or better than Temper Foam? Even with the door fitting well, I still think the sides need weather sealed. What would work good there? Thanks

I don't have any weather seal and have had no issues. I don't leave the plane out in the rain. However, I think the hinge area is the most important to seal. I'll probably seal that when I figure out a good way.

Door seal

I cut a piece of temper foam aprox 1" wide X 1" thick and stuck it in the "U" channel that the hinge is riveted to , stays in place without glue .

I used a piece of ethafoam cut from a piece of packing material. It's a springy, waxy feeling closed cell plastic foam used a lot in packaging.

I cut it oversize and wedged it firmly in the slot, no glue needed. So far no leaks...

Glue

If you do need glue, pliobond (aviation adhesive) or e6000 will work. I prefer pliobond, it can be found at most hardware stores.
Bird

Back