What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The perfect engine for a Harmon Rocket

I want one, I hear they are gonna cost about a dollar two ninety eight.:D

Bird

I like the radial look............

p194ae8cv81etfcuqjvf1883d6d6.jpg

Maybe so, but if you look at the other nuclear powered vessels around today, people just get out of their way.

Not sure I want a magnetic bottle that can handle extremely hot temperatures, reaching hundreds of millions of degrees on the front of my RV! What happens if I bump into the ground a little hard? Do I evaporate into a mushroom cloud? :eek:

I used to work with a NASA engineer who had previously worked for Convair. He said one of the most interesting projects he worked on was the NB-36H. I remember him saying, "No telling what would have happened to the city of Fort Worth if that thing had ever crashed." They flew it regularly out of Carswell AFB.

To quote the Wikipedia article, "This was the only known airborne reactor experiment by the U.S. with an operational nuclear reactor on board."

Last edited:

I am glad you got this posted. I posted last week when it came out in an Aviation Week article and it was "moderated".

They say in the AW article it will take 5 product generations to be usable. Fusion not yet usable. They estimate before 2020 at best. LIFE magazine in october 1956 said fusion was the future and would be available widely by 2000. Predictions are not guaranteed. :D A single PhD is leading this effort. I suspect I won't live to see it.

potential W & B?

so, sounds like this thing will weigh slightly more than a Lycosaur....perhaps another wing bolted on the nose to help?

...and will a prop strike now be a non-event?......or....more likely, the area 234.3 miles ahead will become a pool 'o frickin' Mag-ma?

( got my insurance agent on the line now for a quote.....hello.....hello?):D

Back