What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings on, Wings off ?

axlr8r

Well Known Member
It's about time to paint my airplane. It's been flying now for about 135 hours and I think (hope) that most of the bugs have been discovered and fixed. To be truthful though, thanks to reading all the good information on the VAF, there have not been too many problems. However, my RV-8 has been just too much fun to fly so I have not wanted to take it out of service for the length of time it will take to get it painted. My concern relates to weather the wings should stay on during the painting process (requiring a large booth) or would it be OK to remove them so a large booth would not be necessary. Any advice or comments related to this issue would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Wings

I painted mine off the plane on a rotisserie then installed them .

The thought of removing the wing spar bolts ,and all the goodies
In the way now ...... I would look for a bigger booth .

Hi, I have painted my 8 after it was built but before flying and before I installed the wings. I used a home made rotisserie. Now that I have the wings on with the real bolts torqued and installed I would not really want to take that apart again, actually I hope I never have to. Painting my own airplane took a whole lot of work and preparation. I would say don't take them off unless you have no other options. This is just my thoughts on it.

Bird

Back