What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on elevator balance

gear1

Well Known Member
I have just completed SB 14-01-13, and during reassembly I have been inspecting hinge alignment and balance. My left elevator (with electric trim installed) balances perfectly. The right elevator, however is overbalanced (the lead weight is too heavy). A search of the VAF archives provided a wealth of information on balancing the control surfaces, but little on the effect of the weight being too heavy. The pitch control forces are quite light, and very well balanced with the roll forces; I understand that overbalancing the elevator will lighten stick forces. The stick forces are so well balanced now that I would not like to change the control balance.

My question is this: is it OK to have the elevator somewhat overbalanced?

Thanks

It is unlikely that the proper balance will change your stick forces enough that you will notice a difference. Error on the side of safety and balance the elevator correctly.
Ryan

I highly recommend checking this out with Vans building site. My memory of unbalanced elevators is a dangerous condition. Flutter? Are they balanced when both right and left connected together?

It is recommended that each elevator is balanced individually and also as a unit (together). If you have not painted and planning on painting, I would not remove any lead (weight) till all the painting has been completed as it will affect the outcome.

Elevator Balance

Thanks for posting everyone. I did check with Van's, who indicated that a slightly heavy weight is fine, especially since the aircraft has flown for 1650 hours with no problems whatsoever. Since I like the way the controls feel I will leave it alone....

Back