What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gluing canopy

m20e

I'm New Here
I am getting ready to install my canopy on my rv-8. Noticed on someone's kit log that they glued their canopy using Sika product. Does anyone have info on this product? Is it better than riveting?

I used 3m5200 on mine, came out great more info on my kitlog.
Link below
Bird

I put tape down in before starting to avoid having the cleanup issues. It took more time but was worth it.

Bird

Thanks Rob! Timely compilation as I was starting to do research on this myself, with my canopy and finish kit coming in a few weeks. More along the lines of "I know I want to Sika, now how has it been done?".

A couple of thoughts

Just finished my 7 Slider canopy with Sika. Here are a couple of thoughts.

1) You can get the Sika from Amazon.com. Do a search. The prices vary. Also check Chemical Concepts. They have it for the best price.

2) Do a search on eBay for the primer. You can find some smaller bottles available. These aren't commercially available. I believe they are about 2 ounces. One bottle is about perfect for the main frame on the slider. I'll use the other bottle for the front wind screen.

These bottles are perfect for our use. The large bottle is expensive and you'll only use a couple of ounces of it. Once it is open it is going to die quickly and most will be wasted. Please note, the bottles I bought were expired. I spoke with with a rep from Sika and asked about this. They said as long as they are liquid, they are fine. He said the expiration date is required for some DOT regs. I still have one in the refrigerator for the wind screen later down the road.

3) Use only 3M Fine line tape for the tape line. It is formulated to deal with various chemicals in the painting process. I know others are going to tell you they used electrical tape or something similar with good success just don't do it.

4) Do lots of checking on all your measurements. Clamp everything together as if you were going to glue. Again check and double check everything. If you are doing a Slider, use ratchet straps to compress the frame. Compress farther than you think. It is amazing how much outward tension the glass has.

5) Don't get too amped up over getting a specific sized spacers in. 1/16" spacers are plenty. On the roll bar, I had my max thickness spacers at the center and they tapered down to nothing at the sides. Think about it, if you use 1/8" spacers on the whole thing, the edges are going to be 1/4" over sized on the sides, (total). This is hard make up for in the structure and is not needed. This stuff is extremely aggressive so if properly prepped the Sika is going to hold. Along the side rails my slider I used some thin nylon washers as spacers coupled with the fillets on the second pass. It ain't going anywhere:D

6) If doing again, I'd buy a cheap airbrush and spray the primer for an even coverage. The primer does not brush well and requires several passes to fill in streaks. I used a soft brush. I didn't want to try a foam type brush as I was concerned about incompatibility with the primer.

7) When you do your tape line, tape farther than you think you'll need to give room to build your fillet on the second pass. I had one area where I didn't leave enough room and had to retape and reprime before adding my final beauty coat of Sika.

8) Use a cup with some denatured alcohol and your finger to make your smooth fillet. I tried a couple of nylon forms for the fillet but the Sika is too aggressive. A bare finger and alcohol works great. Keep your finger moist for the best results.

These are the most important things I can think of right now. The process is very simple and the only way I'd do a canopy. Seems like a lot of work but it actually is quite easy. There are many ways to accomplish the same result. I studied all the available builder sites that Sika'd. I developed my plan and it worked to perfection. I'm about as picky as one can get!!!:eek:

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Still a fan.....

My Sika'd RV-9A slider has now seen 10 years, 1400+ hours and temps from -10F to +115F.

It seems to be holding up just fine for me. Just follow the steps - Darwin has it down to a science!

Excellent advice. I sika'd my slider, and the only thing I'd add is to practice making nice fillets a bit of scrap. Mine did not come out as pretty as some I have seen, which just cost me more hours of sanding down and finishing them. Nice fillet looks fine as is. Don't paint over it, the paint won't dry.

Chris

I'll add my experience to the list as well. I used Sika on my 7A tip-up, and I wouldn't do it any other way. There are so many advantages, I won't even try to list them all. It's an excellent product, a pleasure to work with, and the results look outstanding.

I have also been involved in helping at least 3 other builders with their canopies. Two of those were sliders, so I've now had quite a bit of experience. Darwin's tips are spot on. Feel free to check my website for much more detail, pictures, etc. starting here:

SikaFlex work, Tip-up Canopy

Here are a few pictures of how it turned out:

P1030643%20(Small).JPG

P1030639%20(Small).JPG

And here's the rear window:

P1000856%20(Small).JPG

P1000848%20(Small).JPG

P1000863%20(Small).JPG

P1000871%20(Small).JPG

Sika grocery list

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for all the detail, been disecting your blog and your experience over the last couple days... I just performed the Big Cut and need to order some sikaflex.

Can you please confirm the part numbers of the recommended cleaner, primer and adhesive? What is the approximate quantity needed for a 7 tip?

Thanks again great work👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I used it and liked it! Great tip about the smaller bottles of primer! I did the canopy then when I came back months later to do the windshield, the big 90.00 dollar bottle primer was dried out and useless. I like the black primer showing thru the canopy matching my black canopy frame.
ann1vb.jpg

Back