What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas 2015

tommylewis

Well Known Member
Tom and Bonnie flew to the Bahamas on Sat morning. We left TX on Wed because of weather concerns, and we are retired so we can, and flew to Pompano a Beach to spend a couple days.

So we flew into Marsh Harbor and have a house rented on Elbow Cay in Hopetown for a week. Sutters and Moores are with us. Here is the view off our deck.

ec81533e9bd9263a7a8924a09aa30488.jpg

Life is good! Keep pounding those rivets! Check out our Spot track through link below!

Last edited:
Only one picture Tom?! Please report often. BTW the VAF intelligence knows you were down under for some time how about a couple lines about the trip? :)

Our trip

we climbed to 9500 feet east of Pompano Beach and crossed TURBO intersection to cross the ADIZ on the schedule we had on our APIS plan. Here I are a couple pictures on the way out

image.jpg

image_2.jpg

Our procedure was to fly to the west end of Grand Bahama Island, about 60 miles over water, then east along the north side of that island until we see the north end of the Abaco Islands. This view is the very north end as we then desend down to a 1000 feet for our flight down the abacos.

367c480fea0fecd8cd805b7bdb43bb98.jpg

Hey Tommy,
Looks like from the beach picture it is the same house you stayed in last year.
We were at Hope Town Lodge in February and had another great stay.
Is the new tower open at MYAM yet.
Sometime this winter the new terminal opened and we were told the tower was very soon. In the Bahamas soon could be another five years.

Another

Yes this is the same house as last year, only in April rather than March. Temps are Warner, air and water. The tower has not opened. This is a great place to relax and enjoy. We have snorkeled yesterday and today right off the beach by the large.

Here is another picture on the way down the Abaco Islands.

377cfd386b55c50ff0f6797ef71df992.jpg

Scotland Cay airport, a private one, in the Abacos.

image_6.jpg

Took my watch off. On island time! No problems!

Last edited:
Ah, Scotland Cay

Scotland Cay airport, a private one, in the Abacos.

image_6.jpg

Took my watch off. On island time! No problems!
Tom
Ah, Scotland Cay!
Landed there back in 99"in my then 4 year old RV4 after deciding the danger was low. After a resident came out with a rake I made for a hasty escape but alas they were friendly. Turned out to be one of the founders of Raytheon. All his neighbors were wealthy or heirs, yet laid back and friendly. My host insisted on an overnight stay and rode me around in his Wellcraft Scarab "runabout".
Much fun, thanks for sharing!

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Elbow Cay

So here is the out island we are spending the week, Elbow Cay, as we flew in on Sat morning. Our rent house is on the point on the east side of the island.

image_8.jpg

The pink house on the point is called "East Point Cottage" rented by Elbow Key Properties.
78bb7330b24da7d8a1e09f69bad080fc.jpg

The south end of Elbow Cay is White Sound.
image_11.jpg

Marsh Harbor airport is about 5-6 nm west
image_10.jpg

Life is good man!

In air shots

we took some photos of each other on the way out to the islands.

Tom & Bonnie's RV7a
image_13.jpg

Martin & Claudia's RV7a
image_12.jpg

Dave & Wendy's RV10
image_14.jpg

Beautiful day in the Bahamas.

Still here

Here is a shot of our crew. Martin & Claudia on left, Tom & Bonnie in middle, and Dave & Wendy on the right after our late afternoon beach walk.

image_15.jpg

Hope Town light house.
image_16.jpg

The blue umbrellas are in front of the Hopetown Harbor Lodge and the best snorkeling is right off that beach.
image_19.jpg

Tom & Bonnie in front of rent house.
image_20.jpg

Life is good! Keep pounding those rivets.

Last day

today is our last day in paradise, going for a morning walk, the one last snorkel off the beach. Having a great time.

image_17.jpg

Beautiful. Love the Elbow Cay area. We usually stay right across on Lubbers Quarters at Green Bananas Great trip and Marsh Harbors has always been good. Brings back memories at Curly Tails.

Flight back to Florida

This was the sun rise on Sat morning as we got up to catch the ferry back to Marsh Harbor.
image_21.jpg

We took off to the east and this was a view of the island we spent the week on

image_23.jpg

So back in Florida after a great week. We had to have some ice cream also.

image_22.jpg

Last edited:
Back