What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I was given a helmet. What now?

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
We went to visit a friend for lunch today and he gave me this nice helmet and nomex flight suit. He told me it was taking up space in his locker and he wanted to get rid of it.

I've not really considered wearing a helmet, but you never know I guess. When I tried it on, the 'cool' meter didn't even twitch and my wife laughed at me until I took it off. I figure if I wear it, it will have to be strictly for safety reasons because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to impress anybody with how I look. :eek:

Maybe I'll paint it up to match the airplane.

d41a254ec45c120fa52d8852167fa649_zps1899993f.jpg

Cool

Wear it. Walk along the flight line yelling, "Let's kick the tires and lite the fires Big Daddy!":D

Hi Paul....given it's you who we're talking about here....the requisite paint job better be something more than just "match the airplane"! :)

Then there's Vlad - what'ya say to that?!?!? :D

Cheers,
Stein

Wow,, wish someone would give me one I've been looking to get one, I need a medium size, they are expensive my plan is to use it with plane and my airport/go anywhere scooter. Thinking of buying an old vintage naval one visor helmet and let someone fix it up for me.

Bird

Wearing it might surprise you, Paul! I have exactly the same helmet (HGU-55) with an Oregon Aero Zetaliner in it, and it is honestly a lot more comfortable than a ballcap and headset; no pressure points. I agree with you on looks; I look like The Great Gazoo in mine.

Quick question; is that still a military dynamic mic installed? If so, you will need to either convert the speakers and mic to civilian high impedance gear, or buy a converter cable (converts both the single military plug to dual GA plugs, and converts impedance as well). Costs about $95 from Flighthelmet.com. My helmet came without electronics, so I installed an all-new ANR system from headsetsinc.com and used a DC electret mic I had lying around. Works great.

Back