What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help for a Helmet

bird

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, I have decided to buy a helmet for myself. I don't know much about them. I know I want a hidden slide down visor. I don't know much about helmets any help would be appreciated. I know I want one with ga speaker standard two plug like a headset. I don't know what kind to look for or how to get the right size for my noggin. Any help with names, types etc would be great. Should I get a refurbished one or buy one new? I want to make sure that I get one that is totally comfortable, hate to order one then it not fit and be told I can't send it back.

Thanks for any help
Bird

Helmet source...

I, too, have been considering purchasing a helmet. This is the only source I know of for new helmets: http://www.gentexhelmet.com/

I've been thinking of getting one with 02 mask receptacles along with a boom mic that would click into one of the receptacles. That way I could remove the mic to attach an oxygen mask if I ever decided I wanted to fly that high. (They sell a mask with mic already built-in that would replace the removed mic.) Of course, that would raise the cost considerably but I could always purchase additional items as they become necessary....

Good luck and be sure to post a pic of what you get.

Speaking of which, Hey DR! Now that you have that fancy new helmet, do find yourself wearing it? I'm afraid it would be uncomfortable and confining and I'd likely leave it behind if I had one.

I bought mine for warbird flying years ago from Flight Suits which is now Gibson & Barnes. Sounds like you want an HGU-55/E. I have the ANR module and custom fit head liner in mine. Very comfortable with no "hot spots" when worn for long periods. They were first rate to work with. The helmet is beautiful and continues to work without issue after 10 plus years of use. Would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Helmet clearance

Make sure you check your head clearance if you're looking for a helmet. I think almost everyone ends up smacking the canopy with their noggin in nasty bumps, so having a big slider knob on the top of the helmet might not be a good thing. I just ended up with the elastic straps on an HGU-55 which can be swapped for tinted or clear. You might consider a graduated lens with darker tinting up top and lighter on the bottom.

Also, +1 for Gibson and Barns. Great folks to deal with and you'll get a great product.

I purchased my HGU-55 on eBay, mint shape and a lot cheaper than purchasing new ($400). You can go to the gentex site to get the measurements to determine what size helmet you need. I then purchased a zeta liner from Oregon Aero and ANR upgrade from headsets incorporated, it took all of 40 min to convert the speakers and mike over to 300 ohm, I like the end result!!

http://www.headsetsinc.com/helmet install.pdf

Last edited:
I purchased my HGU-55 on eBay, mint shape and a lot cheaper than purchasing new ($400). You can go to the gentex site to get the measurements to determine what size helmet you need. I then purchased a zeta liner from Oregon Aero and ANR upgrade from headsets incorporated, it took all of 40 min to convert the speakers and mike over to 300 ohm, I like the end result!!

I acquired my "new" HGU-55 helmet in a similar manner... found it on the shelf at a downtown Seattle Army-Navy store; was in great shape with civilian comms and XL shell for my big fat melon, 300 bucks. Bought a new visor for $65, visor cover for $20, new Zeta liner for $74 and I was in business for only $459! But then I realized, T-6s and T-28s are NOISY! So, I upgraded the comms to both ANR and CEP earplugs. Sent it to Headsets Inc to have it all done. Grand total on the helmet is now up to almost $1000, but it's still less than half the price of a fancy new one from Gibson & Barnes. A buddy of mine has a shiny red one from G&B, think he's got close to $2500 in it, ouch. I really like my helmet, very comfy and quiet.

Give these guys a look for a new or rebuilt helmet;
http://www.flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FHL&Category_Code=FHT
From this page you can price/build one from bare bones to all the bells and whistles. I bought my visor and liner from them and am happy with their service.

Last edited:
I was given a hand-me-down Alpha helmet a few years back. I upgraded with a Headsets Inc. kit and it's now as quiet as my Lightspeed, and has a nice protected visor that I can flip down with a lever on the side of my head.

It's a little heavier than a standard headset, but the convenience of the tinted visor and the increased protection from flocks of geese that seem to like crowding our runways two seasons a year are worth it.

Just another plug for Bonehead Composites--call and ask about the PilotX. It's the nicest flying helmet I've ever worn.

Im partial to MSA Gallet... finest helmets IMHO...

With regards to new or old... every helmet has a lifespan... every time a helmet is dropped, expose to UV, or other "negative" events, its life is shortened... I would not purchase a used helmet unless I knew its exact history... that said I work in flight safety so I may be a little intense when it comes to these sorts of things :)

Hi Alan. Thanks for your post. Can you tell us which helmet you have from bonehead and how it works with headset or Halo's etc. Do you have to buy new speakers to mount inside the helmet in place of your headset, and what about the mic? Perhaps I missed them but didn't find these specifics on the web site (which seems very well done).

Hi Bill -

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here. Bonehead Composites has been working on a purpose-built aviation model called the PilotX (it's pretty new, which is why it probably isn't on the website yet).

If you order it with the comms package, it has a flexible boom mic and molded earcups with integral speakers.

It is OUTSTANDING. Give them a call and ask to talk to Chris--he's an RV driver as well, if I'm not mistaken, and is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Louis

PilotX Flight Helmet

I use the PilotX, but I'm a bit biased.

PilotX%20Chris_zpstftlcmjt.jpg

PilotX%201_zpsiqnzi5gj.jpg

A bit more low profile than the HGU-33
PilotX%20vs.%20HGU%201_zpsa3xksubj.jpg

PilotX%20vs.%20HGU%202_zpsrljp62p3.jpg

I use the PilotX, but I'm a bit biased.

A bit more low profile than the HGU-33

Now that's a cool looking lid! And it does indeed have a lower profile than the HGU-55, which is impressive as the 55 is pretty low profile as is. For comparison, my first helmet was a used but nice Gallet LH250; a great quality helmet with dual visors, but man, that thing was huge! Made my already big head look a bit like Sputnik, plus it barely fit under the pointy, narrow canopy on a T-6. I think I like 'em smaller...

End of the day, any Helmet is going to be safer than none.

The priorities I would consider are listed by others and yourself. For a good fit, you will either need to be lucky, or buy a brand from someone where you can try the various sizes and get the correct size and fitting.
I know I want a hidden slide down visor
As above be careful about clearance v canopy. I paid extra to have the solid cover removed, have a single visor and just a cloth cover - all with the aim of the lowest profile I could have. Not so important in an RV-8, critical in an RV-6/7/9.

I paid a lot for a re-furb Alpha 900, single visor, integral ANR. Best money ever spent, with many RV, Yak, Extra and Jet Provost hours to date. But you can be lucky/crafty with eBay / self installed ANR.

Back