What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Debris in the Fuel Tank ?

Selma

While doing my drain check I get some black/brown debris through the drain valve. It doesn't look like cork from the gasket, my guess is it is from the sealant. Are there any solvants to get the wasted sealant out before resealing the fuel tanks? The slosh SB was done, there was no slosh found and the tanks are not leaking. I didn't build my RV9a, I bought it last year from the builder (an A&P).

I would be happy to get your advices and I appreciate all comments :rolleyes:
Pit

O-ring?

While doing my drain check I get some black/brown debris through the drain valve. It doesn't look like cork from the gasket, my guess is it is from the sealant. Are there any solvants to get the wasted sealant out before resealing the fuel tanks? The slosh SB was done, there was no slosh found and the tanks are not leaking. I didn't build my RV9a, I bought it last year from the builder (an A&P).

I would be happy to get your advices and I appreciate all comments :rolleyes:
Pit

If the debris is coming out the drain valve as you say, my first instinct might be that the drain valve o-ring is deteriorating. Drain the tank, pull the drain valve, and inspect the o-ring. Actually if you have a helper and a spare o-ring on hand you skip draining the tank, and instead use a finger to plug the drain valve hole and spill very little fuel, while the helper changes the o-ring on the valve.

Fuel that comes out the drain valve flows right past this o-ring. If you're lucky this will solve the problem rather than a contaminated tank.

Thanks Kurt, good idea. I changed the drain valves both RH and LH, the O-rings have been ok. Some of these brown-black pieces are to big to come from the O-ring. I am buying the fuel at different but regular fuel stations where everyone is getting his fuel from, no complaints from this side, Larry. Seems I am not the lucky one who changes the fuel caps and drain valves. Guess there is another point to focus on.

Pit

How big are the contaminants? Are they large chunks of material or more like a sediment?

I posted last winter about my fuel tank leaks on this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82929&highlight=fuel+tank+leaks

If you read my first post from that thread, click on the video and look at the pictures I posted you can see where I had a reddish/brown residue in the bottom of my leaking fuel tank. It turned out to be rust that was being pumped into my fuel tank from a steal fuel storage tank. Not sure from your description if this might be the case but you may consider rust as a possible contaminant if you are indeed fueling from a steal fuel storage tank.

How big are the contaminants? Are they large chunks of material or more like a sediment?

I posted last winter about my fuel tank leaks on this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82929&highlight=fuel+tank+leaks

If you read my first post from that thread, click on the video and look at the pictures I posted you can see where I had a reddish/brown residue in the bottom of my leaking fuel tank. It turned out to be rust that was being pumped into my fuel tank from a steal fuel storage tank. Not sure from your description if this might be the case but you may consider rust as a possible contaminant if you are indeed fueling from a steal fuel storage tank.

Easy check to see if it is magnetic. I had the same issue, rust from the case of the fuel pump filter on a Gasboy pump.

Thanks, I will check if it is magnetic, but I fear it is not. The fuel is coming from a well maintained fuel Station on a busy GA airfield. The debris doesn't look beeing metallic, the pieces are looking more like parts of the sealant. Big pieces are of 3 - 4 mm diameter.

Is there any solvant on the market to use for cleaning the inside of the fuel tanks in order to get the sealant out?
Pit

Back