What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset/Harness Hangers in RV-10

TryChick

I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to mount front seater's headsets and harnesses. Our RV-10 doesn't have an overhead console and I'm reluctant to just drill holes into the fiberglass of the canopy from the inside to mount something since I've seen posts where those screws have been pulled out over time.

My first thought then would be to use the existing hinge screws and suspend a hanger of sorts from there so no new holes would have to be drilled and we don't have to worry about screws pulling out.

Has anyone done this, and if so, could you share pictures. I have also seen a mount that gets clamped to the front support bar, but am not sure how well that would work or if it would be an annoyance right there.

And lastly what about mounting something for the headsets using the screws that hold the top of the support bar in place. Has anyone mounted hangers there? The harness undoubtedly can't be corralled that far forward.

Looking for some ideas after spending hours looking on line.

I would use the center cabin support for the headset hanger. Either use the screws that attach the cabin support to the cabin or a clamp to the pipe to support a headset hanger.

Click bond type fasteners, or epoxy fasteners to the cabin top to mount the front shoulder harnesses is what I would do. The hinge screws could also work.

The simple way, run an 18” or so piece of 1/2” or 3/8”, 18” aluminum tubing just aft, and over the top of the three engine control cables. Secure it with a couple of tie wraps. Cover each end of the tubing with a plastic cap (prevents the tubing end from damaging the headset foam).

Just reach down and slide the pilot headset on the left end of the tube, the co-pilot slides the headset on the right end of the tube.

Used this for years - and the headsets don’t get in way as you get in or out of the plane.

Carl

I did exactly what you described, but for the shoulder belts only. Simple piece of aluminum, bent to the right shape, on the aft hinge screws. I didn’t even touch the existing hinge screws - they had just enough thread protruding from their lock nuts that I could put the remaining bolt thread thru the aluminum hanger, and get a new nut started. It did not engage the locking portion, but this is hardly structural.(!) I did not put headsets there- I had the jacks on the outboard sides of the panel, and putting headsets there would have left the cords blocking the front seats. We usually just lay our headsets on the tunnel. I’ll look but don’t think I have any photos at home; and, due to Covid lockdown, not sure when I can get to the airport.

Bob, I'd like to see your photos. I had originally thought to do something a little more complex - epoxying a plate between the door aft hinges that I could then mount seatbelt hangars on to and let the plate take the recurring forces vice the canopy itself. But then, as with any mod I consider, I apply KIS, and was considering using slightly longer screws on the aft hinge just for what you're describing.

For headsets, every plane I've built so far, I just put a snap mounted on the longeron under the panel sides and then use a strap (credit to Abby at FlightLine) and hang my headsets there - has proven to be an effortless, keep-em-out-of-the-way hangar with the added benefit of solid retention of the passenger headset while flying solo.

I've considered an upholstered strap to the front seats for the headsets..... on the inboard sides. Similar to newer SR22s:

Attachments

• 147629-50767.jpg
    147629-50767.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 226
Headset Hanger

I made this one from a length of 6061 tubing tapped at either end for an AN-3 thread and added a couple of 3/4" aluminum balls from Mcamaster.
Covered with a piece of heat shrink and pressed into a goPro mount drilled out to size. It can be swapped out for a camera mount or other things like oxygen regulators.
i-bZMqnsG-L.jpg

It occurred to me that I didn’t want my headsets hung out in the open where they get blasted by the sun and where they are visible to the roving eye. So I just made a couple of simple hooks out of light aluminum tubing, say 1/4”, and riveted them to the bulkhead underneath the panel. You have to know they are there but they are easy to reach and easy to stow (if you know there’s a big hook just out of sight). Wish I had a pic but 10 years running it’s worked well.

I made this hanger that uses the four screws on the center support.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 199
Front Seaters Harness Hangers Installed

I used (I think .040) aluminum from our unused panel and made a template. Then I cut, then deburred and bent them to my desired shape, drilled the bolt holes and painted them black. They are mounted on the 4 existing screws from the bolts that secure the hinges to the canopy. I left the original nuts on and just added 4 more nuts to secure the pieces. Will see how we like them. If we decide to do something else, no biggie, as I didn’t drill any extra holes in the canopy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CJUQiJPnsiD

CJUQiJPnsiD

CJUQiJPnsiD

Last edited:
Back