What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A S/N 838 gains Aussie citizenship & flies

At 4pm, Sunday 4th September (Father's Day in Australia) my Blue Angel and I slipped the surly bonds of Earth and completed a circuit around Jandakot Airport (Perth, Australia). Haven't stopped smiling since! Happy to report a very smooth wheeler landing, and no issues whatsoever (other than hitting my head on the canopy 'cause there were too many cushions). She goes like stink, but is amazingly light and responsive on the controls. Wow!

IMG_5643.JPG

The journey started back in March, with an impulsive decision after seeing the plane advertised in the VAF classifieds. I loved the paint scheme so much that I was hooked immediately. Following an inspection, I made an offer, and the process began. It took a while to get her from California to Perth, arriving here in early June. I've been assisted by the fantastic folks from Chapter 24 of the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia, based at Jandakot, and received the Certificate of Airworthiness last Monday (August 29th), with new registration VH-EZM (formerly N124CB).

While I instruct in Jabiru LSA aircraft, I had no tailwheel time at the start of all this, so spent some time in a Decathlon learning the art. An hour in the back seat of an RV-4 on Saturday left me with no further excuses. The wife and kids came to the airport and waited patiently while I checked a million things and made noises from within the cockpit. While apprehensive, I figured it was 'now or never', and headed out, advising the tower that it was my first flight on type: they were very accomodating to my request for 'maximum separation' in the circuit (it's a very busy airfield, eight a/c in the circuit is not uncommon).

After waiting several minutes for a suitable gap, I lined up, and had maybe 20 seconds to 'get the picture' burned into my brain before receiving clearance to roll. As the power came on, she really got going, and I made a slight check forward on the stick to bring up the tail. Perhaps not so wise, as I got a fair bit of oscillation happening, so gentley pulled back and she lifted off the ground before the throttle was at maximum. I levelled out, got to around 80kts, and then began the climb out. Wow! It would have been less than 15 seconds before I was at 700', but wasn't able to turn base as the preceeding aircraft had yet to pass me on it's downwind leg. Levelling out at 1000', and bringing the power back, I turned onto crosswind, checked guages (all good), and watched the speed build quickly to 120kts. More power back (below 2000RPM), I got her to <100kts, scanned the instruments again, sighted the previous a/c and called downwind. Magic! Adjacent to touchdown, a little more power off, slowed her to 85kts, lowered flaps, re-trimmed, and continued before turning onto base once happy with separation from the proceeding aircraft. I continued to slow to around 80kts before turning final, applied more flap, slowed her some more, and then went full flaps at around 300'. Deep breath, concentrate. Received clearance to land, got everything straight, smooth power applications to keep the speed steady, I was over the runway before I knew it. Small amounts of backpressure, power off, flying level and raising the nose until she touched down gently on the mains with a high nose-up attitude. Small check forward, confirmed at idle, she settled nicely onto the tail (big smile!), a little brake ... taxiway approaching fast, nah, we'll roll through to the next one as the brakes were recently honed and had new pads, don't want to test them too hard ... Got a fair bit of shimmy from the mains when I applied power (was expecting this), so just slowed it right down and taxied slowly (expecting a call from the tower to expedite, but it never happened). Off the runway, taxiied home, shut down, canopy open, GRIN FROM EAR TO EAR!

I couldn't be happier and am proud to call myself the owner of an RV-3 :)

Alexis.

p.s. there's a very shaky video taken by the wife on YouTube; quality is not so good, but it's nice to have the memory on record!

Last edited:
DEEPLY jealous

Alex,

I want one and I can understand exactly why you got it.

I think that the -3 is a master piece in simplicty and its power to weight ratio makes it a speed machine.

If only its plans weren't written in stone tablets with an old stick, I would build one.

RV-Grin

Alexis.
Congratulations for sure. I bought my RV-6 from a builder in Canada many years ago so I understood your story of waiting! Thanks for the write up of your emotions as you now know why the RV-GRIN is present after every flight! Fly Safe and often. I love the paint scheme as well.!!

More photos

Just 'cause I can:

I love this one. In the background is the tail of former OzJet 737-200, now wingless and used as a training aid at the Polytechnic West training centre at Jandakot

IMG_8584.JPG

Side-on

IMG_8582.JPG

And my favourite so far, love the way the colors reflect:

IMG_8586.JPG

Will we see you at Serpentine or Langley Park in October?

Hi Jon,

As tempting as it is, I have a grand total of 6 minutes flight time in her so far, and don't think it's wise to commit myself to the Langley Park fly-in on October 15, especially as I'm out of town for the next two weeks. Have certainly been giving it a lot of thought (and spent an hour or so tonight re-reading the fly-in details), but the instructor in me says not to push it (**** that Human Factors training). If I'm comfortable with the plane, I might fly in to Serpentine the days before hand, but if nothing else, I'll definitely be down there on Sat / Sun helping out where I can.

I take it that you'll be coming over? Seen many pictures of your plane, and got a brief look this year at Avalon (that was yours, right?). Look forward to seeing it in more relaxed circumstances if you get here.

Cheers

Alexis.

Congratulations Alex

that is a neat looking aircraft. I bought an RV6A from Jandakot last year and it now lives in South Australia so one RV leaves and another arrives :)

Congratulations Alex

Sounds like you have a great aeroplane. I am jealous and can't wait to get my 8 in the air!

Enjoy and good luck

Cheers

Jim

Congratulations Alex,
Great looking plane and enjoyed the video.
Robert

Last edited:
a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away ...

... in the early 1990's, shortly after I completed my RV3, a guy with a -3 painted like that flew on my wing in the element of a 4-ship flight out of Scappose Oregon, during the fly-in there that year. As I recall, the builder/pilot was Navy and didn't move more than six inches up, down or sideways the whole sortie (which is saying something because as a new element lead, I was all over the sky). I don't remember the man's name, but I sure remember his airplane. Welcome to the RV3: the best performance/expense ratio in all flying today!

- Steven

... and about those exhaust stacks ...

You can put a four-pipe Vetterman stack system on that airplane - I know, because I just did it on my -3. I think that I recognize the crossover design you've got on there now due to the one-stack-down, the-other-up skew. The lower cowl you've got is just like mine as well, and will exit four pipes nicely. The Vetterman system is gorgeous - I picked up about 100rpm on my 0-320-E2D. When your crossover slip-joints start leaking (they will eventually, esp. on #4 cyl, trust me!), remember: two stacks bad, four stacks good ...

- Steven

Back