What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

painting your own plane is not for the weak. I've painted cars before so had a pretty good idea how this was going to go. I toyed with the idea of painting in my shop, but knew I wanted a better job than myself and my tooling may be capable of. So 2 weeks ago I hooked up the ATV and towed N155BK off to a friends paint shop. I figured 2 weeks of hard work should get'r done, but reality set in. I'm taking up space in a working business and it closes around 5pm most days. + Fiberglass work on the wheel pants took longer than expected.

after the tips were blended and pinholes were battled, we shot some epoxy primer
RV-7build809.jpg

made sure the cowl fit was a go and then fit the upper fairings/gear legs. oh yeah found some pinholes
RV-7build816.jpg

each piece gets a black powder dusting for guide to sand. my shoulder therapist would love all the sanding I did(great for the rotater cuff)
RV-7build821.jpg

finally shot some yellow pieces on Wednesday
RV-7build823.jpg

next 2 pics were taken today before and after of the fuselage epoxy coat.
RV-7build819.jpg

RV-7build834.jpg

I would guess we have 100+hrs so far and will finish the multi-color stuff next week. Whew!

Shoved her outside this morning....wow am I dreaming...I ordered the tail kit Nov. '06.
RV-7build928.jpg

Last edited:
love the colors and design... Exception of the yellow the purple and lime green are what I have in mind too... What kind of paint brand did you use?

Ryan, while normally it is not recommended to mix and match brands, We did.

1. Omni AU epoxy primer (PPG)
2. Nason Base colors (Dupont)
3. Nason Clearcoat Select (Dupont)

Plus the appropriate hardeners, reducers, etc.

Also booth temperature was held between 77-83*F for proper flowout of the clearcoat.

Amazing what a $800 gun in the hands of a guy with 30yrs experience can do.
RV-7build956.jpg

The future of N155BK looks BRIGHT
RV-7build947.jpg

Aussie RV-7A

Another Aussi RV-7A out of the paint shop. Will try and post some pics here.

Enjoy:)

Greg Blakey (RV-7A Sale, Australia)

webplayer.php

Here ya go Greg...
It's the photo URL within the imageshack page that you need to reference rather than the whole imageshack page...

rv7build453.jpg

rv7build465.jpg

rv7build459.jpg

rv7build467.jpg

Gratitude

Thanks Steve,

Appreciate your time in re-posting to have them work properly on the page. Will know how to do next time.:)

Greg

Congrat Stephen! I just had my first flight last weekend. Seeing your creation fly for the first time is extremely exciting!!!

I think it is one of those optical illusion things. The paint lines and the canopy side rail give an impression of what level is an throws off my senses.

Whew! had me worried

nothing is level in this pic I just set the tail on a sawhorse to make it easier to slide the wing in. When all the holes were drilled and reamed everything was level every direction(checked many times)

...my -10 came from Big Fork. How far is that from where you are?

Best,

146nm on heading 316. :D so about an hour once I get this flying. right now BigFork is about hour 3 in our 4.5hr drive to our property at Cabin Creek Landing. Those trips are about to get easier!

The -7 is getting there... I got "pinked" yesterday so it won't be long now! A couple tweaks and we'll be haulin' the mail! :D

35a9eyu.jpg

- Peter

Last edited:
Well done Pete.

If your prop is a hint for the paint scheme I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Plenty to look forward to.....enjoy.

Regards

Jon

Congratulations Peter! I keep watching here for your "finished" plane write up. Sunday was so beautiful I'd wondered if that was going to be the day. Look forward to seeing it. :)

If your prop is a hint for the paint scheme I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

Thanks Everyone!

Jon I'll never be able to top your paint scheme but we'll do our best. ...and yes the prop is a good indicator of what will be on the plane but that's all I'm willing to reveal at this point! :D

- Peter

That pic is a hoot!!!

"Whuuu whaat doo we doo now???"

"I have no idea but that is a bunch of parts!"

"I know, lets ask the VAF!"

"Great idea!"

Wings Arrive!

Well thirteen weeks later our wing kit has arrived and today we started the inventory process! Can't wait to get back into building action.

Last edited:
Calibrated the fuel tanks today. Then got a new perch on the edge of the nest.
RV-7build1117.jpg

FSDO has the paperwork for review today, might do engine start tomorrow.

found a bad crimp on the starter circuit when I tried to spin the engine to build oil pressure, but once that was fixed She fired right up.

Here's some condensed video
N155BK 1st start

2nd run

10/10/10 pic update: First time since paint with the prop, spinner and cowl all together.
RV-7build1125.jpg

Last edited:
Received practice toolbox. Gathering a few more tools. Still a little more work to do on the 'factory'.

Did this thread look a little intimidating when you started? Or is it just me?

I guess I can post twice here - just clecoed my empennage together on the next one, however, as it's an 8............ I'll get me coat :D

Moving Day

This is a couple of weeks old, but it sure feels good to have it at the airport.

The "birthing" process out of the basement shop:

4h5gf8.jpg

Enroute to K34:

nzknm8.jpg

Wing move the next weekend:

1fjy8z.jpg

Safely at home in the hangar:

29vzey8.jpg

Now, to hurry about and get this thing airborne before the winter chill hits!

Scott
7A

Now, to hurry about and get this thing airborne before the winter chill hits!

No hurrying. It's kind of like running with scissors, just not a good thing to do.

Great job getting to the airport, but still lots to do at that point.

sidebar-
I've been waiting for the FSDO to come inspection for over a week, yesterday they said it won't be this week and he might not even get it done before his government boon-doogle to Florida end of next week.:(:(:( the good news is I keep finding stuff to do and my plane should be 99.9% done before he gets here.

sidebar-

I've been waiting for the FSDO to come inspection for over a week, yesterday they said it won't be this week and he might not even get it done before his government boon-doogle to Florida end of next week.:(:(:( the good news is I keep finding stuff to do and my plane should be 99.9% done before he gets here.

Same here, seems like the FAA is trying to shove inspections off to the DAR side of life.

hey Mike, just got off the phone with the closest DAR. $500+ travel but he can be here Friday.....decisions decisions......anyway find a money bag, mine is empty.

Wings almost finished!

After just under 11 months we've nearly completed our slow-build RV-7 wings! Pride was flourishing out of the hangar as we drove the last bottom skin rivet last night. All that remains is to drill/rivet the flap hinges!
IMG_4938_640x480.jpg

Back