What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 VH-JWC Jon Clements

Jon Clements

Well Known Member
RV-7 S/N 72920 VH-JWC
Little River, Melbourne, Australia.
Standard kit - 3 1/2 year build / 2000hrs approx
Long Range Outboard Leading edge tanks (300L total fuel capacity).
AeroSportPower IO-360-M1 180HP Inverted Fuel/Oil
Hartzell Constant Speed Blended Airfoil
Dual GRT HX EFIS and EIS. Garmin 430W. Avmap EKP-IV. Trutrak DII VSGV. SL-40. GTX-327. PSE 9000EX. Approach Fast Stack integration.
Hooker Harness. Classic Aero Interior.
PPG Deltron Paint system (Audi colours: Solar Orange, Daytona Grey, Aluminium Silver).

Currently in Phase 1 with 15 faultless hours on the Hobbs...

Never thought I would fall in love with an aircraft...?!

vhjwc1.jpg

vhjwc2.jpg

marty8.png

marty9.png

dsc0110l.jpg

dsc0099m.jpg

Last edited:
Incredibly well done!!

I think we have another Osh award winner here! Wow....beautiful.

So, is the entire leading edge the fuel tanks/tanks? Do the outers have separate filler caps?

Best

Wow

That is spectacular. I love the interior, layout, trim, decals etc. Absolutely beautiful very detailed quality job. Enjoy.

I think we have another Osh award winner here! Wow....beautiful.

So, is the entire leading edge the fuel tanks/tanks? Do the outers have separate filler caps?

Best

Thanks all for the kind words. Genuinely appreciated.

Pierre -

I modified the outboard leading edges to become Long Range Tanks with the assistance of a mate of mine who is an AME (structures). The middle bay between the main tank and the outboard tank is open and provides access to the plumbing (via the opening for the landing light in the leading edge). To improve the structure we installed skin doublers to the underside and the outboard tanks are stiffened with lateral angles in the same way as the main tanks. The outer tanks have their own filler caps and all four tanks are plumbed separately to a four way Andair fuel selector. The vent lines are split via a "T" to provide direct venting to both the inboard and outboard tanks. We made a sacrificial test tank as part of the process, filled it with water and tested it to 7.5G's before it showed signs of deflection.
Main tanks hold 80 Litres per side (approx 20 gallons) and the outboard tanks hold 70 Litres (approx 18 gallons) per side.
Stating the obvious - I have included operating limitations in my POH for the aux fuel tanks.....no landings with fuel in outboard tanks (except in emergency) and no aerobatics with fuel in outboard tanks.

I elected to rivet the outboard tanks in place rather than install plate nuts/screws essentially because I did not want to modify the spar design. If they ever leak and I have to remove them it will be a case of drilling out the rivets and I suspect my paint job won't like that much !

The CoG is relatively unaffected by the additional fuel in the leading edge so my C of A has a higher Max weight (2020lbs) than Vans recommends to accommodate long range operations when necessary. On a day to day basis the aircraft is operated to the standard weight limits recommended by Vans and it is ALWAYS operated within the C of G range recommended by Vans (including Long Range Operations).

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning...

Jon,

I would expect nothing less from an architect.

You have done the impossible - made orange look good.

Co-ordinated down to the key tag.

Regards,
Doug Gray
RV-6 VH-UDG first flight 14th July, now with 10.5 hours

Love the center console, very nicely done, thats how a nicely finished cockpit should look IMHO.

New Favorite

That is a simply stunning airplane. Your interior, panel, etc are now my new favorite and will be the standard by which others are judged. Wow!

Jon,

I just want to say thank you for sharing such a beautiful airplane. Now I am convinced that an RV is the way to go.

It's beautiful Jon! Orange is the thing! Must come over and have a closer look at some point.

Andrew

Wow

This is Awesome Jon.....I want to crawl under a rock and start my whole Interior again....Absolutley Stunning, way to go
I noticed the orange Key tag as well

Jon she is JUST AMAZING!!! You've got a fantastic eye for style and that vision has translated it to one of the most incredible -7's I've ever seen!

Congratulation again Jon!

- Peter

PS - Can you make OSH with 300 Liters on board?!? :D

All - Thanks for the supportive comments.

Your feedback just expands the RV smile....genuinely appreciated. It's not all smooth sailing building aircraft but when you finish, you get a chance to look back and realise what an incredible achievement it is. We are all lucky to share the dream....for those who are still building - enjoy the ride!

Couple of quick responses:

Doug Gray - Thanks. I'm hoping to wrap Phase 1 up this week and sneak up to Cowra on the weekend (if my wife gives me a Visa!)...you going?

Andy Rabbit - Can't wait to get some photos of JWC parked on the tarmac next to your Orange Lotus - they were made for each other!

Doug Bell - No-one has noticed the last missing detail (the Doug Bell Tailwheel).It is in transit and only a few days away now if i understand correctly (thanks). Its a must have and I look forward to it gracing my tail!!!

Pete Fruehling - Osh is on my to do list and YES I want to fly to OSH in JWC. That dream will remain a dream for a couple for years though....and for the moment - don't you dare tell my wife about it...!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Winner!

Looks awesome Jon.
Unfortunately I spent my visa flying up to Lismore to check out Ken Eyears recently flying RV-3B last weekend.
I may be a chance at Cowra, but the odds are slim.
The one thing Ive noticed with the RV though, is that you can achieve alot on a day trip however....hmmm.
If I dont get to Cowra, Ill definately fly down to have a closer look in person sometime soon.
Congratulations again.
Richard
RV7 VH-XRC
Sydney, AUS

Hi Richard

Thanks. I'm an outside chance for Cowra at best so we are more likely to catch up down the track. Keep in touch - if you plan a trip down south we can fit you in the hangar.

Cheers

Jon

It really is a piece of art!

I had the pleasure of a sneek preview in April, not quite fininshed but you could see a lovely result in the making.

Hey John, LRV did not have that black stuff on the ground 6 months back.....:D

Hope to see it again soon!

DB:cool:

Hi Dave

I'm a bit slow on the reply - lots of flying in the past week!

It has ventured well beyond YLRV in recent weeks and yes it has had a few licks of the blacktop!

I'll leave to you to try and recognise the airfield.....???

Hope to catch up with you soon.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks all for the kind words. Genuinely appreciated.

Pierre -

I modified the outboard leading edges to become Long Range Tanks with the assistance of a mate of mine who is an AME (structures). The middle bay between the main tank and the outboard tank is open and provides access to the plumbing (via the opening for the landing light in the leading edge). To improve the structure we installed skin doublers to the underside and the outboard tanks are stiffened with lateral angles in the same way as the main tanks. The outer tanks have their own filler caps and all four tanks are plumbed separately to a four way Andair fuel selector. The vent lines are split via a "T" to provide direct venting to both the inboard and outboard tanks. We made a sacrificial test tank as part of the process, filled it with water and tested it to 7.5G's before it showed signs of deflection.
Main tanks hold 80 Litres per side (approx 20 gallons) and the outboard tanks hold 70 Litres (approx 18 gallons) per side.
Stating the obvious - I have included operating limitations in my POH for the aux fuel tanks.....no landings with fuel in outboard tanks (except in emergency) and no aerobatics with fuel in outboard tanks.

I elected to rivet the outboard tanks in place rather than install plate nuts/screws essentially because I did not want to modify the spar design. If they ever leak and I have to remove them it will be a case of drilling out the rivets and I suspect my paint job won't like that much !

The CoG is relatively unaffected by the additional fuel in the leading edge so my C of A has a higher Max weight (2020lbs) than Vans recommends to accommodate long range operations when necessary. On a day to day basis the aircraft is operated to the standard weight limits recommended by Vans and it is ALWAYS operated within the C of G range recommended by Vans (including Long Range Operations).

Cheers

Jon

Jon,

Great finish! As everyone has said, the styling and coordination is spectacular. You must be on a never ending honeymoon with JWC!!

I'm interested in your extended range fuel tanks. I've read the notes above but was hoping to see related pics as well. This is something I may consider when building my -10.

Back