What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 first flight report

Fredrik

I finally made the first flight on the 27:th of August. This is the first 10 built in Sweden and it was also the first time I ever flown in a RV-10. It handled beautifully with no surprises.

Building started in January 2014 and it took 3.5 years or 2225 hours to finish.

About SE-XTE:
Engine - Lycoming 540 with electronic fuel injection and ignition from flyefii.com
Propeller - Hartzell two bladed constant speed.
Instruments - Dual Garmin G3X, GTN 650, Garmin autopilot from SteinAir who also did panel engraving.
Interior - All Aerosport Products except for home made overhead console.

Some pictures:
Interior with cabin light on.
NAhH4dTzkb6pdDCTD5uu2SfP0YmbPWKTgsMsFawElsCpx9dfNQVzgWuvrN5xa64Fc7u98qsIR7cJ1n6hdEMqVfm-_NSTD3haFz8rzbLEQ6xFpzMjSE6JwjLg5q7K4wXmVGXzJ_wMlg

Interior with instrument panel.
4NPusNoBbNrh4W2wSVIirRQpFenoeU6c9Iscsr9wLAqbHNDKMkt0HSW2iwpnHG0yx8YKEHrPZjgI6GSs3EG2bBpURVqJWSJGrYrd8jnglPQyS9SPeOcO7KDgYxtUyU9udWJJ2FtvFw

After first flight.
g-hHnrYrhHFyciUgnXoUGepMcolLWHSEke_vZNJ3icSttt1206VFGIhfqZl7dyLJ-K6oChGQewT-sv7f8H4yvqErKEzyF58ucfQkkUH1EXFw6-KfUnqTBYdFPCoDEDUciG7hh5gsYA

Testing engine to full rpm.
6zI_U9WPGRrXE2ck63DLRPQM1H2BHOR1vVEEcGC1b8lvEg-hAaZRZX1i0A9o4zVOh2SGTcexVh9ABFe77mkNgDm46aFQYw7vr6MCDA0Wv3EENEVACiyMNA56DOYUZu3klDumBFpzwQ

This is an hobbs meter that i connected to the light switch in my hangar to keep track of building hours.
Cg1ZwQM9FIS6hfW8vzAYjQAFcfu6y_qdCXZ1-N12Mona1LxN2h0Lz88u-y0ob7IlZtSITI5CYqZBFgu72wvLQW5FlL8axzorP4nLNm44TbIq7zESjdUDVpcZxr3MJaBZznTvva3_bA

Airborne!
1P5E-m_xd5KRCqcYbD2jkN6lCqJ6tIwxq4mNPSulqUt8wyd49iAAihaMmq91f0Ao3cot1kPkB54CeoSl9tfLHsmyME5YutSV_e_jdxWUV2KjTNQ3_LAXNe0qgsnU9IqqMbT30FSvwQ

I want to say thanks to Van's for a beautiful kit,
Doug Reeves for maintaining this important forum,
my build inspector Thomas Boyner,
EAA chapter 222 (Sweden) with Staffan Ekstrom,
Robert Paisley at EFII for going to extent in modifying and shipping my engine,
and all you guys at SteinAir and Aerosport Producs.

Finally I really want to thank my wife for supporting this. It had not been possible without her!

Thanks!
Fredrik

Last edited:
Congrats Fredrik!
You are going to love the -10. I just finished mine a few months ago and still have the RV grin.

BTW-
I loved the idea of wiring a hobbs meter to your lights in the hangar! :D

Congrats! You will really start to have fun, now!

Pretty ingenious hooking up the hobbs meter. I think you've discovered something they are still good for. :)

Vic

CONGRATS! Also your use of the HOBBS meter is awesome. What wonderful foresight you had to set that up!

Congratulations. What an achievement. Wishing you many hours of safe and joyful flying. Your plane looks beautiful!
Johan

Love the Rego !

Congratulations !

If you ever come flying in Australia with me you will have no Problems with the call sign :)

Looking good!

Do you have a web page that shows a log of your build, with pics? I sure would like to see more pictures of your build; especially the interior finishing work and overhead console. Thanks.

That is awesome! I am interested in your panel and it's interface, if any, with the throttle quadrant. which throttle quad did you use?
Thanks

Congratulations! Your airplane looks great! I'm hoping when my RV-10 is finished, that I might try flying it to Europe. Maybe I'll head up to Sweden, where my family originates, and see yours!

Great idea with the Hobbs meter on the light switch, but frankly, I spend so much unproductive (or productive on other things than the airplane) time in my shop that it wouldn't be an accurate measure for my construciton time.

Onnittelut = Grattis = Congratulations

Fredrik, congratulations!

Great to see more RV's and aircraft's overall in Nordic countries. I build and completed it at 2004 here in US. I followed Finnish regulations along with local ones. Idea was that I'll ad it one day to Nordic Experimental fleet which hasent happen yet. I am working with my second project. Will see that how long it takes.

Ones more, congratulations for your achievement!

Mike, sorry I don't have any web build log. Here's a link https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVsCHI5OT0TtkZVm2 to some pics of how I built the OH console.
It's not only a console, it's actually the whole rear part of the cabin roof that I covered in 1 inch sheet of XPS (extruded polystyrene).
I cut it almost through, in a chessboard pattern, to have it easily fitted to the curved contour of the roof with epoxy. The console part is uncut pieces of XPS. Finally everything was covered in a layer of glass fiber and epoxy.

The interior panels from Aerosport Products are covered in a super stretchy black synthetic leather. You can probably find it from companies doing car interiors. The roof is covered in a black textile that have like 5 mm of soft foam on the backside to hide any uneven parts of the roof, also from a car interior company.
If you wanna save your self a lot of time, go for a prefabricated OH console instead.

Calvin, the panel and interior is from Aerosport Products, the quadrant included.

Fredrik

Fredrik,

I really like your overhead panel idea. It seems like it would be well insulated. Two questions: How fire resistant is the foam that you used, and do you have an idea of how much it ended up weighing?

dwb

Mike, sorry I don't have any web build log. Here's a link https://photos.app.goo.gl/fVsCHI5OT0TtkZVm2 to some pics of how I built the OH console.
It's not only a console, it's actually the whole rear part of the cabin roof that I covered in 1 inch sheet of XPS (extruded polystyrene).
I cut it almost through, in a chessboard pattern, to have it easily fitted to the curved contour of the roof with epoxy. The console part is uncut pieces of XPS. Finally everything was covered in a layer of glass fiber and epoxy.

The interior panels from Aerosport Products are covered in a super stretchy black synthetic leather. You can probably find it from companies doing car interiors. The roof is covered in a black textile that have like 5 mm of soft foam on the backside to hide any uneven parts of the roof, also from a car interior company.
If you wanna save your self a lot of time, go for a prefabricated OH console instead.

Calvin, the panel and interior is from Aerosport Products, the quadrant included.

Fredrik

Dave, In Europe XPS styrofoam it is not classified as a flammable material although it is combustible, but so is also epoxy laminates. I don't know the exact weight penalty for this, but i would guess about 2 kilos (4.5 pounds ?).

Fredrik

Back