What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My new 10 workshop

Seansull

I have just recently finished building my new house and thought I would share some workshop photos with everyone. This is the 3rd and final workshop that this 10 has seen in the past 2 years.

photo-787217.JPG

photo-736074.JPG

photo-763435.JPG

Happy Building!

Very Cool!

Awesome job on the shop Sean. What floor is that? Tile or epoxy?

I'm relocating to the Central VA (Manassas/Nokesville) area from NJ next summer. The wife and I are interviewing builders at the moment. Is there any advice you would have after doing this 3x yourself? The wife is completely on-board with the current plans which are to design the house around the RV shop and the kitchen. We'll both have our playgrounds :)

The shop is supposed to be the lower garage on a two floor garage. Upper floor is a traditional 4 car side entry garage. Lower floor garage is supposed to be for a end entry tour-bus style RV (the other kind) or tandem cars. It's supposed to be around 45 long by 30 wide. Working with the builder on ideas for eliminating the columns on the lower garage or reducing the number of them. Will also be running heated floors. I'm very excited :) I should have enough room for RC planes and the RV-10 project.

Sean get yourself one of those retractable electric lines and hang it on the ceiling next to the garage door opener. Nice workshop.

The floor is just your basic off the shelf epoxy garage floor paint from Lowes. I sealed/primed concrete first. Four coats of white after that. Finally, I topped it off with a clear gloss epoxy with a traction additive. The floor turned out pretty nice and the price was under $500 for over 1000 SF DIY.

I few things that my previous workshops didn't have that this one needed in my opinion.

#1 A separate area for the air compressor. I used the under stair space for this. I have a dedicated 20A circuit just for the compressor (NON ARC fault). It is a large area that is sound insulated and will not overheat. This is my Favorite upgrade! I can talk to someone while the tank is filling :)

#2 Surface mounted air supply hoses in strategic areas. I'm gonna love this.

#3 More EAA type wall tables. I added 2 8x2 tables. This has given me designated areas for planing, storing, grinding, cutting, and assembly.

#4 My Computer. One of the best additions. I never thought it would be so handy having the computer right there.

My garage is just over 1000 SF and my wifes car gets it designated area every night now. My dimensions will allow me to assemble everything from tail to spinner (less wings of course). I am hoping this makes the on field assembly time much easier.

One thing to keep in mind with your new house Kevin, airplane building speed increases the closer your workshop is to the kitchen. :)

Last edited:
Another Rudy Greyling Award Winner! Shop looks great and spacious it's about time to get lots of aluminum shavings and fiberglass dust on that nice floor. Do you have enough lights? It looks like you have strategically placed fixtures over your tables but what about the general area? I have six large fixtures for half of your footage and would like to have more.

Hmmmm

What I like is the two clocks. I'll assume one is on local time, the other on Van's support staff time. :)

Rick 90432
Finishing and baffling.

What I like is the two clocks. I'll assume one is on local time, the other on Van's support staff time. :)

Rick 90432
Finishing and baffling.

I can't tell for sure, but I ASSuMEd the bottom one was a thermometer. I have one in my garage/shop to give me an idea of when I can paint, or how long the proseal will remain workable.:eek: A second clock would be a great idea, but I'm already in the same time zone as Van's.:p

Beautiful !

I would trash that place in about a minute....way to nice for me.
Nicely done.

nice but

Way to clean! Mine started out nice and clean like that. Lasted about a month then I gave up on cleaning and concentrated on working. I think you need more lights!

Sean,

According to Red Green the beer fridge is supposed to be 200 yards from the shop when building an aircraft!!! But then, as one Irish builder to another, I think your fridge is just in the right spot. Enjoy your adventure and you'll end up like me...a repeat offender.

Jim Thornton
Sweet Pea RV-8A QB 760 Hours TT
Mustang Sally Midget Mustang Plans Only
I had QB guilt, but I am over it now!

Back