What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Doors

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I have more man hours on the doors than any other section of my QB. I am very disappointed in the design. The latch mechanism is poor, the hinges are poor and they just don't fit well without a lot of tweaking. This is an area Van's needs to seriously consider a re-design.

Pat

Something to check

I was helping a builder who installed them reversed, They will fit either way in the holes, verify hinge pins are in line with each other.

Pat,
judging by the number of responses, the doors are an extremely time consuming and unattractive endeavor.
Like sgjackson pointed out the hinges can be reversed in more than one way.
What exactly is the problem with the fit?
From my own experience I can tell you, getting the doors to fit took many many tries. Fit them, sand them and refit them again.
Just when you think the fit is perfect you will have to try it with the rubber seal on and the whole exercise starts over.
Once properly fitted the doors are a great compromise.
Large, easy entry, light, not complex, not expensive, will stay closed if you lock them properly, sexy looking.

I have them lined up correctly. Saturday I had a chance to play with the RV10 from Vans at Sun-N-Fun. They fit and wobble just like mine so I guess its normal, my expectations were just a little higher.

Pat

Handles...

Is there a better handle solution for the inside? I've seen a nice flush solution for the outside (forget where), but the handle on the inside is just butt ugly. It is hard to go through all the pain and effort to build a nice plane only to have to look at that nasty inside handle. I know it's functional and all. I also like the camlock mod. The handle needs to look way better and still function.

Any ideas? Anyone have a skunkworks handle mod they are willing to share?

Back