Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:14 AM

Default Which GPS Source

For the avionics guru's.
I have a GDL39 hardwired to a Aera 796 and bluetooth'd to Garmin Pilot on a iPad 11 pro cellular version (with GPS). Each device has a GPS chip but which source would be used to drive aircraft position on an approach chart on Garmin Pilot on the iPad. Also which is the best GPS source among the 3 devices.

If I add a 375 I assume it would become the GPS source for everything, is that correct.

Figs
Old 04-17-2021, 08:39 AM

Figs,

In your installation, the GDL 39 uses GPS data from the stand alone Aera 796 GPS navigator.

I don't have any experience using an iPad in an airplane, but it is my understanding that Garmin Pilot uses the GPS data from the GDL 39 (provided by the Aera 796 GPS navigator in this example).

If you were to hardwire a GDU 375 GPS navigator to the GDL 39, the GDL 39 would use GPS data from the GDU 375, not the GPS data provided by the Aera 796 over Bluetooth, since the hardwired GPS source has priority.

All GPS navigators use their own internal GPS receiver, so the Aera 796 GPS navigator would continue to use its own internal GPS receiver even when Bluetooth connected to the GDL 39.

Steve
Old 04-18-2021, 05:59 AM

Steve
Thanks, in your setup in the LongEZ do you use the 760 for geolocation on approach plates using its own GPS? Also are all the GPS chipsets similar in performance?
Thanks
Figs
Old 04-18-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
Steve
Thanks, in your setup in the LongEZ do you use the 760 for geolocation on approach plates using its own GPS? Also are all the GPS chipsets similar in performance?
Thanks
Figs
Hi Figs,

Yes, as discussed in this thread, I use the Aera 760 connected to the GNX 375 to provide georeferenced approach plates and to display the curved paths, procedure turns, holding patterns, etc. provided to it over MapMX from the GNX 375. The Aera 760 uses its own GPS/GLONASS receivers even when receiving MapMX data from an IFR navigator.

All of the Garmin Aviation GPS receivers (even those in portables) utilize firmware optimized for the dynamics of flight and have similar performance.

Steve