What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need RV-7 Transition Training

birddog486

Well Known Member
I hold a current CFI but the insurance company is still requiring a couple hrs. of dual in an RV-7 before I'm covered.

Is there a CFI with an RV-7 in the southern Wisconsin area willing? Mine wont be finished for a couple months and I'd like to make the first flight in it.

I need to double check with the insurance Co. on acceptable models for training but they seemed to be specific about the training in a tailwheel RV. Looks to me that Tom has a 7A does he also have a tailwheel RV?

CFI VS. safety pilot

Just thinking out loud, but since you?re a CFI, does the person you go up with also need to be a CFI?...or could you just fly with someone who has a -7 and they fill the role of a ?safety pilot? and let you log the time? It just seems a little bit redundant to me that you to have to log time with another CFI. If you could just go fly for a couple of hours with a fellow pilot, maybe you could swap out the time and you could sign them off for their BFR. Seems like a fair trade to me.

I hold a current CFI but the insurance company is still requiring a couple hrs. of dual in an RV-7 before I'm covered.

Is there a CFI with an RV-7 in the southern Wisconsin area willing? Mine wont be finished for a couple months and I'd like to make the first flight in it.

I am in the same boat. My -7 will be going in a couple of months. I have been a CFI for 36 years and they told me I need a sign off. I do not object to this at all except that it is hard to come up with. I am still studying it.

learn on a RV-6 with Jan in Okeechobee FL, it should be acceptable by comparison for insurance purposes.

I'm in SE WI and did my transition training with a local CFI who happens to own an RV7. I did the training in my own -7 though. I'm not sure if he would instruct in his own airplane. PM me for details if interested.

I did the training in my own -7 though. I'm not sure if he would instruct in his own airplane.

Assuming the instructor was being paid or otherwise compensated:
1. It?s against the FARs for him to furnish an EAB airplane. However, it?s easy enough to get an FAA waiver (?LODA?) for this, for transition training only. I saw an earlier post about BFRs in the cfi?s airplane. That doesn?t work with most fsdos.
2. Insurance for his airplane, while being used for instruction, is expensive. A number of transition instructors have dropped out for this reason. I don?t have an answer, either.

Assuming the instructor was being paid or otherwise compensated:
1. It?s against the FARs for him to furnish an EAB airplane. However, it?s easy enough to get an FAA waiver (?LODA?) for this, for transition training only. I saw an earlier post about BFRs in the cfi?s airplane. That doesn?t work with most fsdos.
2. Insurance for his airplane, while being used for instruction, is expensive. A number of transition instructors have dropped out for this reason. I don?t have an answer, either.

I am aware of this, and why I worded my response as I did. He trained me in my own airplane. And I am not certain if he has the waiver and/or insurance on his airplane. When he did the training in my airplane, he was a named pilot on my policy.

I was told by the atlanta FSDO that if a fellow had a tailwheel endorsement and the CFI did not charge for compensation that,I a CFI,could let a pilot fly my aircraft RV7,without an LODA, to get insurance time since he is still the PIC. The problem exist is that you are still signing off a logbook and your still on the hook should he have a problem down the road.

This is the total sum, if us ?old CFI?s? doing any type of instruction unless you have a couple million dollar liability insurance policy which will run you about 1500.00 per year. 900 for a million. Were out on a limb.

Is it worth risking everything you have worked for just to do flight instruction which I love to do and with an aviation lawyer and even having my own LLC was told 99 percent chance nothing would ever happen but are you willing to spend 5-10 thousand defending yourself even if you win. I won fortunately,Beechcraft had me as an expert witness in a Baron Spin crash, 7 years after i gave him civilian transistion training from Military Licenses.
But I was only 29. Not 69 as I am now.

Almost wanted a new thread in this because there are so many of us old CFI?s
That can share a life long learning and help the young pilots or even older guys and gals that only have a couple hundred or thousand hours.

There is a method,legal,to get a fellow time in an RV. without ever signing them off. Think two private pilots in a cessna 150 flying to an EAA chapter breakfast. The owner is in the right seat and has flown there many hours.
Under the regs. Who is PIC, who is the sole manipulator of the controls. Who gets to log the flight time. Is either one an instructor no. Did the FAR?s get violated? If the owner flies from the right seat is he the sole manipulator
And can he lig the time. If the other private pilots flies from the left seat, same rule can he log the time.

I am not here to split hairs or get in a debate. Two pilots same ratings
In a dual control aircraft have to make a decision who has the final authority. But it makes no difference who is flying the plane. Or what seat they are in. Either can be the sole manipulator of the controls and log the time. The FAA in all cases assumes and we all know that word, the PIC to be in the left seat but there is no regulation to that effect in Part 91,135,or 121 to what seat the PIC is in.

Jack

Jack

Flight instruction

Amen to what Jack said. I have been an instructor for 54 years, but I had to quit because of the liability and some people just will not listen. I did a flight review in a L-19 and the pilot insisted on using 60 degrees of flaps which he could not fly well enough to do. I told him don?t do it, he wrecked two bird dogs in 9 months and the first thing the FSDO wanted to know was, who did your flight review? It?s not worth the liability in my case. Tandem aircraft are the worst, a fellow flight instructor almost lost his life because the front seator turned the mags off and they didn?t make the runway in a very crowded area. I liked being an instructor, I did it in cubs, jets and everything in between, but no more.

Back