What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drip-less RV-10 IO-540 oil change - Best thing since sliced bread!

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Alright so (5) oil changes down the road I finally found a way to change the oil without spilling it everywhere and spending an hour cleaning it off the engine, hoses, cowl, nosegear fairing, wheel pant, etc. You will need some safety wire, gallon ziploc, tape, and a diaper. :D

Full instructions and pictures on my build log.

http://timsrv10.com/build-log/oil-change-done-right/

Not a bad procedure, but I've found that punching a hole in the top of the filter while draining the sump will drain all the oil overnight.

How do you catch the oil that spills out when you remove the screen for cleaning and inspection? You are doing this, right?

Here is a nice tool a friend made for his RV-14. Slip it over the end of the filter, tighten the bolt on top and let it drain via a hose on the bottom. Not a drop is spilled.

Enough people have asked for one that he is opening a production line.

Carl
27848-F1-A-5953-4-B59-9591-B2-D60-CD04-D75.jpg

A5-F9-F794-DA6-D-40-B6-981-B-776-DAD7-BE8-E3.jpg

Carl, if he needs a beta tester, let me know! PM works great.

Seriously, would love to have one.

George

I just bought some $0.75 small bread tins from walmart and hold them under the filter while I spin it off. So far the 5 times I've done it, I've spilled a few drops only once.

Not a bad procedure, but I've found that punching a hole in the top of the filter while draining the sump will drain all the oil overnight.

How do you catch the oil that spills out when you remove the screen for cleaning and inspection? You are doing this, right?

This is the burning question I have... How in the world are people pulling the screen and not making an unholy mess? I've come to only do this at annuals because it's so terrible, and I just did it again.

I do it the lazy man's way. Jack the tail up to where it's just a little nose down so the oil drains overnight with the rest. Usually, there's only a few drops left to catch with a paper towel when I remove the screen.

Here is a nice tool a friend made for his RV-14. Slip it over the end of the filter, tighten the bolt on top and let it drain via a hose on the bottom. Not a drop is spilled.

Enough people have asked for one that he is opening a production line.

Carl
27848-F1-A-5953-4-B59-9591-B2-D60-CD04-D75.jpg

A5-F9-F794-DA6-D-40-B6-981-B-776-DAD7-BE8-E3.jpg

Avery had a tool like this.... punch a hole in the top install band with drain, turn the filter 180 degrees and let it drain.

Back