What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 vs RV-12is Compare and Contrast

mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, Once I sell my 1976 Cessna 180 I'm looking into my next aircraft and I've always been interested in an RV-12.

Will most likely be a purchase although I'd cherish the thought of building but I'm pretty busy so that most likely won't happen, so purchase it is.

Being based in Utah(KBTF) 4200' MSL I have to think about performance.

So, let's compare the various pluses and minuses between the ULS power RV-12 and the "Is" powered RV-12is. Airframe differences, Engine differences and performance differences.

Thanks in advance!!!

The Good: RV-12's come up for sell on a regular basis.
The Bad: For every 10 RV-12's there is only 1 RV-12is.
Do you wait it out?

Mark

PS: Anyone nearby local with an RV-12 or RV-12is that would be interested in showing it off and/or trading a flight(to included tailwheel time, Flight review, etc) in my C-180. :)

Mark, Sent you a message!

Howdy, Once I sell my 1976 Cessna 180 I'm looking into my next aircraft and I've always been interested in an RV-12.

Will most likely be a purchase although I'd cherish the thought of building but I'm pretty busy so that most likely won't happen, so purchase it is.

Being based in Utah(KBTF) 4200' MSL I have to think about performance.

So, let's compare the various pluses and minuses between the ULS power RV-12 and the "Is" powered RV-12is. Airframe differences, Engine differences and performance differences.

Thanks in advance!!!

The Good: RV-12's come up for sell on a regular basis.
The Bad: For every 10 RV-12's there is only 1 RV-12is.
Do you wait it out?

Mark

PS: Anyone nearby local with an RV-12 or RV-12is that would be interested in showing it off and/or trading a flight(to included tailwheel time, Flight review, etc) in my C-180. :)

You might check out the November 2017 issue of Kitplanes - I reviewed the -12iS that month, and did some comparing and contrasting with the earlier design….

Paul

Thanks folks... Anyone have any first hand observations about performance differences between the ULS and the IS? I'm a little concerned about performance at high density altitudes in Utah.

Back