What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting over SW P60G2 primer

KEG

Patron
Anyone painting over Sherwin Williams P60G2? First time builder and novice painter considering painting my 12iS myself. I am trying to keep it as light as possible. I have used P60Gs at all exterior overlapping seams and all interior parts so far. I am interested in prep work; techniques and paint used. Any info greatly appreciated!

Yes

I have done all my interior painting over the swP60G2. Works great for me.

I used the SW Jetflex interior paint as a top coat. Pretty amazing paint.

Last edited:
P69G2

Anyone painting over Sherwin Williams P60G2? First time builder and novice painter considering painting my 12iS myself. I am trying to keep it as light as possible. I have used P60Gs at all exterior overlapping seams and all interior parts so far. I am interested in prep work; techniques and paint used. Any info greatly appreciated!

I've painted quite a few parts previously painted with P60G2. Since the P60G2 has cured, you need to scuff or remove it. You will be scuffing the entire airplane anyway so that's not an issue. Most paint shops will Alodine first. Your choice. Nasty stuff but it really helps paint stick. Just don't get Alumiprep anywhere near P60G2. It's like Kryptonite. Peels it right off. Once the surface has been prepped, painting is easy. Choose your poison. Make sure they are compatible. 2K Epoxy Primer, Urethane single or dual stage. Everyone has their favorites. Call and discuss products, tips, etc with the manufacturer.

Better advice

If you are talking about painting he outside, call your Sherwin Williams rep. If I am not mistaken, SW now has a exterior primer specifically made to replace the alodine process.
When I read about, it appeared to be a game changer for me.

Back