What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate Pitot Static Source

OK, I'm old school.
But my round-gauge Grumman Tiger has an alternate air source for the pitot-static system. Now that I'm building a G3x-based RV-14, I'm wondering what folks are, or are not, doing for an alternate air source. OK, we have GPS which gives us an airspeed indication, sort of, but has anyone installed an alternate air source? Thanks.

Steinair still sells a mechanical switch. Just plumb it into your line between your static ports and G3X or G5

OK, I'm old school.
But my round-gauge Grumman Tiger has an alternate air source for the pitot-static system. Now that I'm building a G3x-based RV-14, I'm wondering what folks are, or are not, doing for an alternate air source. OK, we have GPS which gives us an airspeed indication, sort of, but has anyone installed an alternate air source? Thanks.

In my Rocket, I mounted a locking drain that doubles as an alternate static source and access point for altimeter testing. Also served as a mounting for an eyeball light.

Vern

FUSE_0011.JPG

What Jon said... I have installed this on all three RV and works great with zero leak which is important especially for IFR certification.

I mounted the Steinair switch as shown in the attached picture on my -14. I also installed a red switch guard cover over it.

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 229
I've been actively flying IFR for 40 years and have never needed to use an alternate static source. But I've never been without one.

The surest way to need one is to not have one. And I don't think busting the glass on my Dynon panel is gonna help! (old school reference)

George

In my RV-14, I mounted the same kind of alternate static valve above where he (and I) put the G5. I have all my ‘abnormal operation’ switches there, so that’s where I put this one. I plumbed it at the end of the static line rather than between or before any of the instruments. I only have a single pitot source, but it’s heated and thus less likely to have problems as long as I watch for airspeed to come alive on takeoff.

I built a RV10, IFR with 3 Dynon screens and a Garmin GTN650 for IFR navigation. I have no problem shooting approaches in minimum weather, but I will not fly it where I could get icing. I did that flying professionally over 30 years and am smart enough not to now. I don’t have an alternate static source and don’t think I need one.

Back