What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B and C Regulator now replacing the Ducati?

mwtucker

I see in several posts that the standard voltage regulator being supplied for the 912ULS is the B and C? Is this correct? Any data yet as to the reliability?

Thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike, I don't have any data for you but I was hoping there would be a few responses to your question. I have a new B&C sitting in the hangar that I bought from B&C at Oshkosh last year. I am still on my original Ducati (240 hrs), mounted under the avionics on passenger side. I don't want to use the Van's install method because I have no plans of cutting my cowling for the vent. I would also love to hear some feedback from B&C owners so giving this thread a bump.

Our B&C has been working fine since I installed it last summer. Still way too soon to pass judgment on whether it's going to be good long term. For what these things cost, they should last a very long time, and so far... not so much. Hopefully the B&C will do better.

I installed the new B+C regulator using Van’s installation kit. I did cut my cowling, add the scoop and mount the regulator on the firewall. I did notice a lot more electrical noise, so I installed the B+ C recommended filter capacitor and that solved the problem. You can purchase a wiring kit and capacitor from B+C.
My RV-12 is 2010 vintage, and was on my third Ducati regulator. I hope this regulator is more dependable.

Thanks for this information... I'm still on the fence about installing the regulator on the cockpit side of the firewall--clearly cooler there but don't want any smoke in the cockpit should it overheat/melt... Also not decided on the B&C versus Ducati... I am still maybe a year away from having to make that decision.

Mike

Is there a way to wire in a warning light for a Ducati VR? I thought there was a way but can't remember where I read it...

I had a slight whine with the new B&C regulator. The schematic shows a 16 gauge ground wire from the regulator to the ground post of the battery. After adding the ground wire, no more whine.

Mitch

Warning Indicator on Ducati Regulator

Hi Bobg56,

Attached is the wiring diagram from the Rotax 912 (carbureted versions) installation manual (section 24). There is provision for adding a warning indicator. To use this feature, a 12-volt indicator (bulb or LED) would be connected between the "L" terminal of the regulator and the "C" (+12V) terminal. If using an LED, the anode must be connected to the "C" terminal and the cathode connected to the "L" terminal (possibly through an external dropping resistor, see caveat below). When an error condition occurs, the regulator connects the "L" terminal to ground, causing current to flow from the "C" terminal through the indicator to ground. NOTE: There is a current limit in the indicator circuit. The manual says a 12V/3W indicator can be connected. That would mean that 250mA would flow if a 12V, 3W indicator was connected. If you use an LED make sure the LED is 12-volts (has a built-in current limiting resistor) or you will need to add a resistor to limit the current to 250mA max.

Attachments

• Rotax 912ULS Wiring Diagram.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 236
Mike, I just had my Ducati fail at 115 hours. I had noticed some odd behaviors for an hour or two prior but they seemed to clear up. This weekend the thing failed completely luckily we were almost back to home airport after a trip. We wouldn’t have made it back if it quit halfway there. I know there are some who have many many hours on their Ducati, but there are too many failures at too few hours to trust one if you’re planning to fly any distance. If you have a B&C put it in.

I took my Ducati out and replaced with the BandC couldn't be happier. I called the tech line and was told just remove the connector and plug it right into the BandC. Charging great, at the same time I put in a EarthX and wired in for a light on the dash, I got all that from BandC as well. simple install and working great. 912uls. I have both the regulator and the battery behind the firewall NOT on the motor side.

B+C regulator FAILED @ 85hrs

Hi All
I have a B+C regulator (PN: XB100-1).
It was installed on 10/10/2022 and failed on 9/15/2023 at 85 hrs.
Correction: installed on 3/19/2021 and failed on 9/15/2023 at 85 hrs.
Not charging at all and its is "smoked" (burned smell and one connector).

I put in the OLD Ducati but it only charges at 13.6V and 2A (full elec load @4000RPM).
It will do for now (plane parked) till I figure out what happened and what to purchase.
I have a call into B+C to figure out what happened. Not looking for free anything just what happened and how to prevent it.

Comments?!?

Last edited:
If you burned a spade connector, perhaps it wasn't a tight press fit on the the VR terminal and thus a source of resistance / heat...

If you burned a spade connector, perhaps it wasn't a tight press fit on the the VR terminal and thus a source of resistance / heat...

Many thanks!
Both connectors "looked" tight and were a PITA to get off.
But on the B+C side it looks like the plastic was melting got the 2 Gen connections. Could the Gen be putting out too much power?

I also had a burned connector due to limited contact with the B&C pins. The Ducati connector housing is an interference fit into the B&C regulator. I discarded the connector housing and plugged each pin fully onto the regulator tabs.

Working great now at 14.1 volts.

Mitch

Could the Gen be putting out too much power?
No, the current is limited by the aircraft load. The generator will put out whatever current that the load requires, up to the maximum of the generator's capability (about 20 amps). The voltage is limited by the voltage regulator. Melted plastic is caused by heat from a loose connection.

No, the current is limited by the aircraft load. The generator will put out whatever current that the load requires, up to the maximum of the generator's capability (about 20 amps). The voltage is limited by the voltage regulator. Melted plastic is caused by heat from a loose connection.

Many thanks!

I also had a burned connector due to limited contact with the B&C pins. The Ducati connector housing is an interference fit into the B&C regulator. I discarded the connector housing and plugged each pin fully onto the regulator tabs.

Working great now at 14.1 volts.

Mitch

When I removed the connector (the holder) it was a PITA. So not sure if the connectors were lose or not. Either way I replaced all the ends and wrapped them and installed on the old Ducati for now. Nice and tight!

Cost

EDIT:

Why is the old Ducati VR $175 and the B+C $345?
Since my B+C is toast do I hunt down a Ducati for less or suck it up and get a new B+C?

Spoke with B+C and they will test it and fix if they can.
I'm good for now. May thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I just replaced my Ducati at 700 hours; about 200-250 hours per unit. I am able to replace myself (two left hands) in about an hour, all for $175 plus tax. For me, that is the easier answer for the problem. The Ducati remains a simple plug and play replacement for the mechanically challenged.

Google Ducati VR, I bought one for around $60 from some company that I can't remember the name of several months ago and it works fine, Lockwood was wanting around $120.

Curious to know what the highest time John Deere regulator is?

My Ducati took a dump at right around 100TT. Installed John Deere Voltage Regulator AM101406 on shelf with heavy aluminum sub-plate. Used heat transfer paste on bottom mounting surface. No blast tube... Still going strong at 880TT. Buy on FleaBay for $20.

Back