Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-21-2022, 03:03 PM

Default 8-32 screws for wing tips?

I was looking at using the Click-Bond nut-plates for my RV14 wing tips, but at $4-5/each, I am thinking not. I started looking around for alternatives to click-bond, and came across a company called Rotaloc that manufactures "bonding fasteners". They come in all sorts of sized, materials and finishes. They are meant to be adhesive bonded to a substrate. They look to be popular in lots of fields, and applications including composites. They do support a screw size of 6-32, but it is not a stock item, which means a custom order is needed, and that involves minimus of 1,000 parts and 5 month lead times.

The Up side to all this is the price, they are less then $1/each if ordering from stock. Down side, they only stock some options with the smallest nut size being 8-32. That is why I ask, are 8-32 to big for attaching the wing tips?

I have not started my wings yet, so I have the time to put in a custom order, but I don't need 1000 plates. I suppose, if a group were interested, we could pool together an order.

Now I am not a chemist or structural engineer, I know there are those that would advise not affixing the fasteners (plates with nuts welded to them) with adhesive, but I love the idea of not riveting these in place.

Thoughts?

Last edited by mstrauss : 10-21-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:42 PM

I know of one builder who went wild ($$$) with click-bonds for the wing tip screws. More than 1 detached and would just spin with the screw. He had quite a time trying to get the wing tips off. I would stick with the nutplates attached to the wing tips with a backing strip of aluminum.
I don't see any advantage using a larger screw size. You would have to use a larger dimple and it is already close to the edge of the wing skins.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2022 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 10-21-2022, 03:56 PM

Just curious - what's wrong with the 6-32 nutplates? Another option is piano hinge - many have had success with that method.

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 10-21-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Just curious - what's wrong with the 6-32 nutplates? SNIP
The short answer - absolutely nothing.

Carl
Old 10-21-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Just curious - what's wrong with the 6-32 nutplates? Another option is piano hinge - many have had success with that method.
This. Don't reinvent the wheel unless there's a genuine need.
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX
Old 10-21-2022, 04:44 PM

Agree with Kyle and rv8ch.

Dave
Old 10-21-2022, 06:14 PM

To answer your question, yes #8 screws and nutplates will fit just fine. The RV6 kit that I didnít start but finished, had the tips installed already with #8 screws. It looks good and is easy to remove/install. #6 screws also work very well. I built one RV with the hinges for wingtip attachment and that looked and functioned well too. However, it was a lot more work to make that hinge fit right. On my first RV8 I made my wingtips non-removable. I pop-riveted them on and glassed over the seam. After paint it looked terrific. I had no reason to ever remove the wingtip, so this was the least work required for a beautiful installation.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 10-21-2022, 06:22 PM

Default Hinges

I did the hinge thing. I wrote an article. If you want to read the draft, shoot me an e-mail. See below.
It was a bit of work, but the wingtips go on an off easy.
If the hinge isn't of interest, I would go with nutplates for sure.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/2022, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:25 AM

I would never use bonded on nuts for anything that you have no access to the back side and definitely not were you have dozens required to work. That just multiples the chance of an issue and at some point you will have one spin. The headache one failure would cause is immensely more than that of doing riveted platenuts in first place. Also cleaning and having smooth surface for good bond on fiberglass takes some prep work maybe equal to riveting on platenuts.

I used the #4 fastener kit from, I think, Cleveland tool. I would not go as small as #4 again as there is too big a chance of stripping or twisting off a head. I have a special bit that came with the kit that I store in special place so I don’t loose it. What I did do, and do again, for all platenuts on the back side of fiberglass is bond on a 0.016 aluminum strip. Then attached the platenuts with rivets through fiberglass and aluminum strip. I don’t like forming a rivet shop heads against fiberglass as it crushes it. I then use dimpled washers under all the attaching screw heads. This has held up without any problems for screwing on and off through 16 condition inspections. YMMV

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN

Last edited by plehrke : 10-22-2022 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:57 AM

I like the 6-lobe/torx screws from wingtip mounting (common sizes available).
https://www.microfasteners.com/home.php?cat=620

I also followed Darwin's Wingtip Tips in the VAF Articles section:
https://vansairforce.net/articles.htm