What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training

2Ways2Fly

I'm New Here
Hi Guys,

So I bought a new to me RV-3, built by Toni Bingelis no less!
All my tail wheel time is in an Aeronca Chief, pre-war 1941 with a C-85, 500 hours. I looked up transition training but all I can find is RV7 with constant speed prop. Nothing that really seems to match the RV-3. Any thoughts pointers?

John

I went from Citabria to RV-3, big difference, with no transition training. There is a guy in Angleton, TX that does transition in RV-4. I have a RV-4 now and RV-4 and RV-3 are very similar.

Pretty much any RV taildragger is a sufficiently good trainer for the RV-3 - if you’re going from a low-and-slow taildragger, all you need is to get the feel of something faster and more responsive. But if you’re going to pick a transition experience that is closest in sight picture, the RV-8 that Bruce uses is a good choice. Louise (my wife) flew with him before flying our -3, and she does great with it!

Flying the rv3

John

Great idea to spend some time in another tail wheel RV . The only issue you will have is nailing the landing.
When I started I tried to three point my landings and gave up after some very ordinary attempts.
Some tips
1. Do not fly over the fence below 60 kts
2. Approach tail low , as soon as the mains touch release a touch of stick pressure , pin the mains .
3. Keep the plane straight (lots of rudder may be needed with care)
NB the rv3 will not tell you when it no longer wants to fly ; so I suggest you fly it on , keep the tail up and enjoy the landing. Once you get the hang of it you will go flying just for the landing.
Have fun you have got a great plane
Steve

Rv3B 320 landings

John

Great idea to spend some time in another tail wheel RV . The only issue you will have is nailing the landing.
When I started I tried to three point my landings and gave up after some very ordinary attempts.
Some tips
1. Do not fly over the fence below 60 kts
2. Approach tail low , as soon as the mains touch release a touch of stick pressure , pin the mains .
3. Keep the plane straight (lots of rudder may be needed with care)
NB the rv3 will not tell you when it no longer wants to fly ; so I suggest you fly it on , keep the tail up and enjoy the landing. Once you get the hang of it you will go flying just for the landing.
Have fun you have got a great plane
Steve

Rv3B 320 landings

I have 1,321 landings in an RV-3 and it gives airspeed feedback thru the stick like any other airplane, and 3-pointed and wheel landed with equal ease. OP, these are all matters of preference, and you will simply need to learn what you and your specific airplane are most comfortable with. Like Paul said, any RV experience is close enough to the RV-3. You will have zero trouble with your Aeronca experience. RVs are powderpuffs.

Insurance Requirement?

John

Great idea to spend some time in another tail wheel RV... Have fun you have got a great plane
Steve
Rv3B 320 landings

Additionally, you should find out what your insurance carrier requires. Mine required a minimum of "five hours" in a two seat "tandem RV", and a local RV-8 instructor was nice enough to work with me, to complete that requirement prior to the first flight in the 3A I restored.

Doug

Yes, well, I?ve got 33 & 1/3 landings in an RV3 and can tell you this....

The controls are fully responsive all the way down to the stall (and beyond). They are very light and it?s easy to over-control (PIO) until down to taxi speed. Beware and behave accordingly.

That said, the airplane is easy to put where you want to put it. Fly the airplane; don?t let it fly you. Let it know who is in control and you won?t have any problems.

I had to laugh at my insurer?s requirements when I first bought the 3. They wanted 10 hours dual on type. :eek: We had a little chat and they accepted 10 hours dual on any other tailwheel airplane since I had zero tailwheel time anyway.

Have fun with it. It?s truly a solid and responsive airplane.

Richard

Learned in a C170

Transitioned in a Champ in order to become accustom to not seeing the runway. Still bounce down the runway. Those springs they call landing gear are not for me. Someone buy my plane!

Back in 2002, I got some RV transition training as I was finishing up my RV-8. I'd gotten some hours with Mike Seagar in the factory 6A, but had never flown in a tandem or tailwheel RV.

The guy I sweet-talked into taking me flying in his -8 was a crusty, retired Continental pilot who had flown everything from C-47s to 747s, and had a huge hanger filled with all kinds of airplanes.

"I'm not signing anything!" he growled, and I assured him that all I wanted to do was a series of stalls and landings, just to get the feel for it (from the back seat anyway).

"You're paying for the gas, right?" And after I assured him that I was good for it, we walked out to his -8.

"Do you want to know how much tailwheel time I have?" I asked.

He grunted as if he hadn't considered the question and raised an eyebrow as a affirmative.

"I've got about 600 hours in my '46 Aeronca Super Chief (11AC) with a 65 in it."

"!$&*(@$&*," he shouted, "That thing is the worst $*(@)$^ airplane ever $@^&^%! built. You won't any problem with an RV!" and he turned around to head back to his hangar.

"Uh, can we still go flying. I'd really like to, uh, you know..."

"You're still paying for the gas, right?"

That was eighteen years ago and I don't even know how many landings (good, bad, indifferent and one perfect one that nobody saw). I've flown (besides the 8) 4s, 6s, 7s and my neighbor Bill's 3. All are as honest as the day is long...

The biggest difference IMHO is between a fixed pitch vs a constant-speed prop...you'll need manage your airspeed more closely with a fixed pitch...as the c/s unit allows one to 'cheat'.

BTW - I asked the guy who I flew with which airplane he had the most trouble with landing, and he surprised me by saying it was his C-150 tailwheel conversion...FWIW.

Transition?

I didn?t have RV time other than ground time imprinting the three point site picture. My first flight was a climb to altitude, a series of slow flight and stalls noting indicated air speeds and then to a forgiving long grass field for the first few landings. Instruction would be nice, but not required inmo if you do your homework and manage the risk factors.

I did 5 hrs in a Pitts S2A. I worked on the basis that if I could land that I would be fine in the 3. I have bounced a few but the real secret is speed control. Once you nail that it all gets a lot easier, I was coming over the fence about 10 kts too fast and she just wants to keep flying.

Back