What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Window Trim Jig

Cbull

I've taken so many ideas from this forum but really haven't given back. So here goes:

I think this only relates to RV-10's, why I'm posting here. I don't really know what builders do for the junction where the windows meet the fiberglass on the inside. Here is my solution, sorry if its been done before.

For this example I used 1/4" deep #8507K14 rubber edge trim from McMaster Carr. I basically made a little jig to cut one side off of the edge trim. To cut the trim I generously applied WD-40 to the trim as I pull it through the cutter. 20' of window trim in 2 minutes, perfectly cut.

I used the 3M instant adhesive in the pic below and installed about 3" at a time. The super glue is very expensive, $30 for that little bottle, but wow does it hold. I haven't even put a dent in it with almost all my trim installed.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are roughly 7000 words:

Inside of window....

Outside looking in...

Hope this finds someone who needed it

Cory Bull

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    823.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    930.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    697.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5001.JPG
    IMG_5001.JPG
    614.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5002.JPG
    IMG_5002.JPG
    613 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    691.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5007.JPG
    IMG_5007.JPG
    798.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5010.JPG
    IMG_5010.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
That looks great! I will be stealing that idea when I start my interior. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great! So the Scotch Weld is safe around plexiglass? I know superglue will cause issues so when you referenced superglue it made me nervous. ;)

Thanks,
Lynn

Looks great! So the Scotch Weld is safe around plexiglass? I know superglue will cause issues so when you referenced superglue it made me nervous. ;)

Thanks,
Lynn

I glued the trim to the fiberglass and not the plexi. It doesn't take very much to make it hold.

Looks FANTASTIC! That is an area that is difficult to get to that "automotive quality" level of finish, and you solution looks great.

The Aerosport headliner shells do a good job for the back seats, but I might steal this idea for the front windows :)

Bookmarked!

...along with a million other links. You guys make the task of building a -10 more difficult by increasing the size of the elephant and the resultant number of bites required to eat him. But that's a good thing, because I'm going for quality and comfort this time around, and the RV bar has been raised in wonderful ways in the last 20 years that I've been a flyer vs. a repeat offender :D

Thanks for posting this. If Ed K. likes it, I know I want it.

Thanks fellas. Ed, it's that "automotive finish" that makes the -10 such a great and tedious project. I have so many hours of fiberglass and finish work that were not part of the plans. Many of the projects got shelved, but the experience and knowledge is priceless. I plan to be a repeat offender, but next time something with 2 seats that requires a parachute while I go loop-de-loop. That one will be more militarized in finish...perhaps a -8 or a -14. Hmmmm, better get this one done first.

Cory

That looks fantastic, I fear the quality of my fiberglass work and hope this will hide some of my miss steps a bit.

That a good idea.... I've caught with that and ended up doing a nice bead of black silicone there... Took a lot of work to get it it right. I might pull it off at some point and try that....
Thank goodness for McMaster Carr, that place is a blessing.

I too pondered this for a long time until the AH HA! Just a few tips:

You gotta fiddle with the jig and shim it a bit to get it right, be sure to lubricate with WD-40 when pulling through. The razor should clamped so that it exerts a little pressure on the bent Al below it.

Enjoy!

Thanks

Cory,

I've duplicated your little jig and it worked perfectly. I've now got 50 feet of excellent window trim (and a small puddle of WD40). As soon as I can find that adhesive for less than $40.00 per ounce (amazon), I'll be in business.

Thank you again for posting the idea and the drawings and pics,

Cory,

I've duplicated your little jig and it worked perfectly. I've now got 50 feet of excellent window trim (and a small puddle of WD40). As soon as I can find that adhesive for less than $40.00 per ounce (amazon), I'll be in business.

Thank you again for posting the idea and the drawings and pics,

Great! Glad it worked!

Back