What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

portable oxygen system

I am looking to install oxygen in my 9A, and I have read some of the threads here on this subject. I don't really want to "roll my own", but would prefer to install a kit system that is reliable and reasonably priced. I like the MH system with pulse control, but it's price seems pretty dear. The Aerox system looks OK. I found Delta Oxygen system with the 15 cf alum cylinder, 870 valve and "precise control" valves and oxymizer to seem to be a good set up for a good price. I haven't seen anything on this website discussing this. Do any of you have any experience with this, any comments or suggestions/recommendations for me? I plan to fly to the SW this spring and will likely want to be able to reach some higher altitudes than I have flown at before. Thanks for your input!
Mark Donahue
RV 9A 230 hrs

I went with the Aerox 22 cu. ft. tank. Comes with the oxy-saver "moustache" canulas. I also bought the tank brackets. Got the tank and brackets from Aircraft Spruce. Get yourself a pulse/oximeter (I got one from Anti-splat). Always good to be able to check your oxygen levels as you are flying.

I've gone through 3 tank fulls in a year of flying, with several trips over the Rockies at 13,500+. My wife likes to put on the O2 above 9,000. It really helps on long, high flights. A local shop on my airport fills the tank for $25.

IMG_5828-M.jpg

Thanks Bruce,
That's a nice installation. Thanks for the picture.
Still wondering if anyone has any experience with Delta Oxygen system.
Mark Donahue

I use the MH system because there is no flow meters to deal with. Bottle lasts the longest and is easy to use. Mountain High is the manufacture so you deal directly with them.

Can't tell you about Delta, but I will tell you that mustache cannulas waste a log of oxygen. For this reason alone I sprung for MH's O2D2. That's mighty important to me for supporting long leg cross-countries, high altitude ops, and two people. It's a huge PITA first finding then paying big bucks for oxygen service away from home. Usually means you have to visit a spendy jet-set FBO. Cannulas would barely get us to OSH from Boise. The pulse oxymeter gets us around the US. This draws from a 22 cu ft cylinder lashed behind the vertical flap brace between the seats to keep the weight pushed forward. I'm also fortunate to have a nearby welding shop that lets me waltz in and tap their bottles for a donation to the coffee fund.

John Siebold

I have the Aerox D bottle with an Oximizer cannula in my RV8. I have tank brackets behind the back seat, mostly for storage, and floor mounted brackets by my left elbow so I can turn the tank valve on and off as needed. I have the floating ball flow valve to adjust flow to altitude. It works well for my solo flying and will last easily for a 10 or 15 hour round trip. I live near sea level and use it above 8000 feet. I also have the AntiSplat oximeter and keep my O2 level above 93%. As a side note, using the oximeter, I've found deep breathing can do a lot to keep your O2 saturation up without O2 at lower altitudes. The MH system looks nice but the extra cost will buy years of refills for me.

It hurt when I bought the MH o2d2 system but I've never regretted it since. I can and often do fly Denver to Florida at 17500 and can easily round trip on a single fill. Likely could do several trips on a fill, though I've never tried it. The only things in my plane that ever irritate me are those where I opted to save a buck. If you intend to use it a lot as I do....be selective with which system you buy. Nothing sounds more irritating to me than trying to find a fill station out of town.

Last edited:
Portable Oxygen system

I also chose the Mountain High Portable system. Included the AL-647, 22.8 CU ft (with mounting brackets), along with the EDS O2D2 (two place O2 demand system) in our RV-7a. I felt that MH has some of the best equipment around, and I did not want to scrimp when it comes portable oxygen for the RV. I live on the US west coast, and flew up to MH in Redmond OR for a visit - their office is based within a short walk of KRDM. Good people up there, and a nice product. Have used this system on X-country flights up to 17,500, along with a high quality Pulse Oximeter to check my O2 saturation levels. The O2D2 has a very nice feature to increase the amount of O2 delivered with each intake, and I've been surprised at times that the Pulse Oximeter reading indicates that I need more oxygen -- even at some lower altitudes, IE: 10500, etc. Pricey solution, but well worth it IMHO.

Michael O'Brien

Consider long-term supportability and costs

Mark:

First, congrats on your choice of airframes.

Second, congrats on installing an O2 system; hypoxia is insidious, in that the effects can start at "low" altitudes... and judgement goes first!

Third, you might consider where and how you can resupply before you make a purchase. Bruce provides one example of a reasonable ($25/fill) approach, and John provides another. Welding shops are much more plentiful than FBOs!

Good luck

Share details?

It hurt when I bought the MH o2d2 system but I've never regretted it since. I can and often do fly Denver to Florida at 17500 and can easily round trip on a single fill. Likely could do several trips on a fill, though I've never tried it. The only things in my plane that ever irritate me are those where I opted to save a buck. If you intend to use it a lot as I do....be selective with which system you buy. Nothing sounds more irritating to me than trying to find a fill station out of town.

Would you mind sharing the details of the installation? Specifically what size bottle, how long it lasts and where do you keep the bottle?

Considering an O2 system for my rv8 as well.

In my Beech, I have an E size bottle in the baggage compartment. Has anyone mounted a larger tank like this? Could it be mounted in the tailcone, behind the baggage bulkhead? Love to see any pics.

In my Beech, I have an E size bottle in the baggage compartment. Has anyone mounted a larger tank like this? Could it be mounted in the tailcone, behind the baggage bulkhead? Love to see any pics.

Oooohhh - now that gives me an idea... got a few other priorities in front of that first, but I like that idea.

I like it too. My setup in the Mouse has a high pressure hose between the tank and the regulator (SkyOx).

My thought was to maybe mount the tank back in the tailcone and run the hose forward and put the regulator near the flap motor enclosure.

The downside is that I'd want access to the tank valve and gauge. Maybe an access panel in the baggage bulkhead? Maybe even cut a hole in there with the tank sticking out?

Back