What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circumnavigating Lake Erie

Vlad

Well Known Member
Suddenly some free time popped up from nowhere. I gauged some great info from Canadian aviators and baked a plan to zoom around another Great Lake. Two years ago I did the perimeter of Lake Michigan it was a success. I told myself I have to circle all of them Great Lakes eventually.

All right time to go. Skies were opening but fat blimps didn't know that. Hey guy where are you going have you looked up?

In dirigible knots they probably need an hour to get to good wx RV need just minutes it's around the corner.

My taxes at workout. Why white uniforms at orange site?

Familiar spot I landed here two years ago. Different kind of RV Mecca.

At Lock Haven the Piper Sentimental Journey was in full swing. I radioed to a light sport demonstrator in the pattern and told him I'll be in his seminar tomorrow after the lake tour.

Quick pit stop somewhere and here comes the big pond. Radar people at Erie International are super friendly I wonder why there is so little traffic here.

Showers just ended hours ago and there were many waterfalls. The falls are kind of small but beautiful. Dozens of them all the way to Buffalo.

Welcome to CanadA!

Winds were turning into tail mode again. Man I love Canada!

They bought all the windmills of the world and installed them along the shore line. You have to see to believe it.

I "sidestepped" a bit to pass over a Canadian Rocketeer strip. A very groomed picturesque spot. It looks like nobody was home.

Different cliffs.

They had a lot of rain here recently.

You guys wanna play? Game on but I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

Looks like I know you. By the way you did the maneuver...

This leg ended at Grosse Ile, MI.

Then there was an overnight stop somewhere in Ohio. I will keep silent on this one. Trip continued early next morning along Cleveland shore.

The same unmanned airport for a pit stop.

Exploiting tail winds again. Why to waste a free ride?

Here comes the Sentimental Journey at Lock Haven PA. It's around 9 am.

Silver experimental joining in sequence on the grass.

I am in a nice company and there is a breakfast on the field.

I made it to your seminar Professor as I told you yesterday on the radio. Thanks for a great presentation I wish all teachers are like you.

The tour is over. Have a nice flying day!

Vlad - we'll be looking for you when you do your tour around Lake Ontario. Ottawa's not very far off the lakeshore, and you know you've always got a place to stay when you're in the area.

Vlad!!!
Great write up!
BTW...may be in proximity to ur location in near future....the RV10 is missing that beautiful lady you introduced last year. May need to circle that beauty again...this time it won't be " fixed wing rv circling two times" it will be more like " heavy rv coming in hot for one circle.. Left turn only due to heavy PUNCH wing ....bees please make way"

Always welcome Jack! I hope there won't be 6 Blackhawks down low as last time. That was a rare and good sight. :D

Any super trips in the planning stage Vlad ?

Great presentation Vlad. Your one of my biggest motivators . :D
I love to follow your progress on those cross continent trips.

Looks like you missed Port Clinton, Put in Bay, and one of the best parts of Lake Erie. Port Clinton has a great restaurant on the field, plus a little museum. At the airstrip close to the shore, they used to fly Ford Tri-motors out to Put In Bay.

Looks like you missed Port Clinton, Put in Bay, and one of the best parts of Lake Erie. Port Clinton has a great restaurant on the field, plus a little museum. At the airstrip close to the shore, they used to fly Ford Tri-motors out to Put In Bay.

One of the Tri-Motors that used to ferry people to the islands several times a day is now being restored in the big hangar just North of the museum and restaurant. They also have many WWII artifacts there: German and US jeeps, vehicles, torpedoes, a flying Avenger (I think that's what it is), and a PT boat. The PT boat is being restored for ferrying passengers out to the islands. The original engines burned avgas and had to be replaced with diesels to meet Coast Guard safety requirements for ferrying passengers.

Jim

Vlad,
I seen you go by Toms strip north of CYQS. I was working on a RV9 at the aiort that day. I don't miss much that goes past. Needless to say, wasn't me in the boat.

Back