What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Nav Light

ZTron?

Looks like maybe ZTron Labs.

three leads on the newer model

Plus, Minus and a sync wire. Sync wire allows all strobes to flash together AND if it is a later model, grounding it turns the strobes off (so you can still have the nav lights on.)

User guide here:

http://www.ztronlabs.com/products.php

CC

Are you looking for the wiring diagram or a schematic of the electronics?

Just wondering, since Ztron Labs seems to be on hiatus from selling these and the ones on my wing tips are starting to act up. I don't know if I would be able to get them serviced. The wiring is unique, since the strobes and position lights feed off the same circuit. Most other position/strobe lights have separate power circuits for nav and strobe. I don't relish the thought of having to rewire to put in another brand of lights.

I think it's a shame that they've stopped selling them. You might email them and see if they have any spares or can fix them. I figure if mine ever give up the fight, I'll probably just make a set as close to the originals as I can.

Ztron

I hope these guys return to mfg. I think I completed my entire light system for about $380 with Ztron and the strobes are synched. They are still working fine but when I turn off the strobes the left side continues for about 5 seconds before it stops.

One of mine quit working all together. I got one email response from the guy and he said send them both in and he'll repair. I did, we'll see. I'll report.

Warren is good guy and will take care of you. He rush built a new one for us few weeks back when one failed... Had it in three days.

Recommend ZTron?

I can start a separate thread on this, but curious if the people here would recommend ZTron. I am not excited about spending $1000 for navs/strobes and though ZTron would be a nice option, but if you guys don't recommend them, I will just go with the more expensive solution that seems to be well reviewed.

As my financial life seems to have seasons, I didn't have an abundance in cash when I needed the lights so I though I would take a chance on the low cost solution from a brand new small company. The total cash outlay was small enough to gamble. Guess you have to make up your own mind on that.

As I'd said in a previous post, one of mine stopped working and is in for repairs. I didn't have a whole lot of hours on them, and I'm seeing things pop up here and there where other's units have been failing.

They are currently NOT selling the nav/strobes but say they may return to production. Possibly they're working on the longevity thing? Just speculation.

All of this said, when I get mine back I will be mounting them right back on and using them until I cannot, for whatever reason.

A follow up to my Ztron nav strobe situation.

Warren came through, and actually, instead of repairing the units I sent back, he sent replacements. They're a bit different in that the sync wire has been replaced with a fast on tab like the power connections. Might be other changes/improvements as well, but that's the only thing I've noticed.

All indications are that he's a solid guy and I'd do business with him again! :D

There were few LED/stobe combinations but I did a web search
And finally choose Aveo Led lights. Their products are certified and 2 years ago I believe I spent less than a grand for all three nav/stobe combinations.

Today there are many options but I would buy Aveo Leds in a heart beat again..
Jack

LED tip setups

I have a complete set of the LEDs from FlyLeds and I can say, WOW!!! And for the price you just can't beat them.

Paul is a great guy and backs his product 150%.

I looked at the specs for lighting and these won hands down. Definitely worth a look and I'm pretty sure if you get a set you won't look back.

Just my 2c worth... :)

Whelen from Team Aerodynamix!

I need to add while talking about possibilities! Just got the Orion 600 LED set from Mike Stewart, super service, product and price. Amazing lights!!
Thanks Mike!!
Greg

LEDS

They might be good but I'm not sure $1,050k for lights is a good price.

The FlyLeds are $350 a DIY set with controllers, and completed $400 a set.

Output would be the same if not better than anything on the market.

However, this is a personal choice so if you have the cash to throw around then go for whatever floats your boat... :)

I have a complete set of the LEDs from FlyLeds and I can say, WOW!!! And for the price you just can't beat them.

Paul is a great guy and backs his product 150%.

I looked at the specs for lighting and these won hands down. Definitely worth a look and I'm pretty sure if you get a set you won't look back.

Just my 2c worth... :)

I'll second this... Just started working on soldering my kit. Paul does a great job of documenting and explaining the assembly process. Very happy with them!

Jason

Still have the original kit from Vans in ours but have just ordered the kit from FlyLeds... will let you know how we go. From initial look though they seem like they will be the best fit for price and performance.

Was originally considering some other vendor options but they all required a significant amount of re-work on our newly painted tips. For a retrofit the kit from FlyLeds looks like it will go in with minimal fuss and re-work.

A good option for retro fitting.

Just finished my FlyLeds kit, and ordered the tail LED; they have a few hand-built models for sale now with free shipping.

The boards were fairly simple to put together, especially if you have any soldering experience. If not, spend 30 minutes practicing on cheap kit from radio shack or something (Or buy them assembled). I had one question about using 18# wire with the d-sub connectors, and they got back to me within a few hours. (Just remove enough strands to insert the wire into the pin). Instructions were excellent, with full color pictures.

Just testing with a 9V, the strobe and position lights were blinding. The controller board took under an hour to build, and is a fun project. The on-board LED's are a nice to touch to see it working and adjust the pattern without having to connect the wing or tail lights.

My only minor issue is that the lights don't quite fit the RV-9 wingtip; I had to cut them down very close to the LEDs, and will still probably have to offset the forward-facing board back into the wingtip a bit. It appears they fit the 7,8, and 10 wingtips with less interference. Maybe they can move the LEDs a cm or 2 inward on newer models and eliminate that issue.

As I am not looking for a TSOd solution, just an extra margin of visibility, I think these will be perfect for me, depending on how well they hold up.

Chris

Flyleds Kit - impressive

A fellow RVr showed me the Flyleds kit he put together for his -9A ---- not installed yet, but he lit them with a 9-volt battery for demonstration ---- very impressive, and looked like they would do the job!

R.

Back