What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It's Official !! It is now an Airplane!

crabandy

Well Known Member
It is now an Airplane! Thanks to the wife for putting up with me the last 8 years and 11 months and Ray my building mentor and VAF for helping me obtain my airworthiness inspections. Thanks ICT FSDO for the inspection, i couldnt believe not 1 squawk. Come on decent weather!
28EC6175-DE81-419E-83D3-4DB8A025D041-4845-000004AE0B30D1E1_zpsec43d469.jpg

Congratulations! We need more air traffic controllers who are pilots, especially those who know the BS&T it takes to build an aircraft.

First flights can be stressful-- new aircraft, engine, avionics and (sometimes) tail dragger vs. nosewheel. Add in traffic and unsympathetic ATC (ahem), funny noises and weather.

But with over 8000 similar aircraft flying, you don't have to worry about the basics.

Enjoy, nice job. I like your paint job :).

Congratultions, Andy. I thought of your inspection yesterday when I was getting in a few landings at OWI. Hopefully clear weather by Wednesday next week for a first flight.

Dave
RV-6

Wheres the Old Swill

Nice work, enjoyed the updates but of all the photos this one especially should have a flash of a Brewsky in the background:D

Way to go Andy! Next time we get to trade rides, eh!! :D

Have fun flying your baby!!

Cheers,
Bob

BIGtime congratulations!!!

Building an airplane is a long journey, but the feeling of satisfaction is incomparable. Anxious to here the 1st flight report. :)

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to fly it.
Unfortunately the Old Swill was semi frozen, tried to keep warm driving screws into floorpans and inspection plates. I did break down and run my preheater into the cockpit, very cozy. Tomorrows temps start at 11 warming up to a balmy 26, good thing the hanger always feels warmer than ambient....

Bob, anytime!! (After 40 hrs of course)

As far as the EFII, I really like it so far. Easy install and your done, no timing etc. I wish I had a comparison on my setup with a mag vs EFII, but with my Catto 3 blade it idles smoohly at 580 (could go lower but didn't want to go too low prior to the first flight). Looking forward to some LOP ops after engine break in.

Congrats Andy. I can't believe it's been almost 9 years since you started your project. It only seems like a few years ago I was at your place helping you rivet on the bottom wing skins.

I'm looking forward to flying chase plane with you on Friday if the weather holds.

Now you can sit back and enjoy your accomplishment and start putting $400 a month away to pay for AVGAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Ray Doerr
N519RV (RV10 - 40250) 1030 Hrs on the Hobbs.

Congrats, Andy! I still need to stop by one of these days on my way to KC. Can't wait to hear about your first flight!

Congratulations Andy on a job well done. The next time I am in ICT, to fly my plane now that I have phase I done and hopefully bring it home to Houston, I would like to come by and look at your wonderful machine.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX (But plane is still in ICT)
RV9A N942PT
Phase I complete

Back