What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Free rivet length calculator iphone app

mikehoover

Well Known Member
Just wanted to share an iphone app I finally got around to completing. It's free on the iphone app store. It is called RivetSizer. I had the idea several years ago (2005) to create a php script on my builder's log but it is primitive and isn't so usable while working in the hangar. Creating an app has been on my bucket list so I am tickled to finally have succeeded. It is meant to be quick, but not necessarily elegant. It has one mission - calculate rivet length given material thicknesses and rivet diameter input by the user. Feel free to check out RivetSizer out at the iphone app store. I have completed building my RV-9A so I will not use it so much (maybe a future build!), but it was one of those things I just wanted to learn how to do. Again, it's free. Feedback welcome, but please be gentle, as I am still a complete novice. ;)

Rivetsizer

Hi Mike,

Just downloaded it - seems to work fine.

Quick question - I've always wondered what personal information app developers get when someone downloads an app - could you please post that if possible?

Thanks, Mickey

Hi Mike,

Just downloaded it - seems to work fine.

Quick question - I've always wondered what personal information app developers get when someone downloads an app - could you please post that if possible?

Thanks, Mickey

Great question. I was wondering that myself about apps I download, but it is refreshing to see that the info appears to be minimal and very discreet, as it should be. No indication other than it was downloaded and which country. The only info I have seen is number of app downloads and which store, ie, USA, Canada, China, etc. Apps go through an approval process before they are made available. I would expect and hope they scrutinize the apps for code and behaviors that go against their developer rules and guidelines. Any app programmers out there that know differently please chime in.

ADDED: Personal contact information would be available to the app marketer if the customer opted in to personal info sharing for that particular app, such as with in-app purchase subscriptions that would required contact info in order to accommodate the transaction. A common example would be the various aviation apps we have come to depend on.

Last edited:
I would expect and hope they scrutinize the apps for code and behaviors that go against their developer rules and guidelines. Any app programmers out there that know differently please chime in.

No, you're exactly right Mike. The exact process Apple uses to evaluate and approve apps is a trade secret, but it definitely involves both introspection (looking into the app to see what frameworks and methods are called) and code-coverage (running the app in a special, internal version of iOS and watching its behavior while also verifying that all the code is being exercised). They also have network sniffers which watch what the app communicates out to the net while it's running.

All that is during approval though, and not during the time customers are using the app. Therefore, it is possible (although difficult) for the occasional rogue app to do things with end users that it didn't do for Apple's testers. That has happened occasionally (but rarely), and Apple has immediately squashed the app and punished its developers when such behavior is discovered. Plus, there is the ever looming threat of severe legal action by Apple against any developers who stray from their strict agreements, so there's a nice deterent effect protecting Apple users, as well.

Let me add, even rogue apps do not have very much bad behavior they can accomplish. All the frameworks in iOS are pretty well locked down, and every app is effectively sandboxed in its own little protected workspace, so it can't really go out and create mayhem for other apps or for the OS, the way virus and Trojan horse malware often does with desktop operating systems.

That's the plus of the AppStore monopoly: Apple uses it to improve everyone's experience using their products, and so there have been significantly fewer bad-actors in the iOS ecosystem.

--
Stephen

BTW Mike: nice idea for an app. I look forward to using it!

Last edited:
Neat idea. I'm sure it would take some sophisticated photo processing, but it would be WAY cool if one could snap a photo of an un-set rivet in a hole and have the app tell you if you should go one size longer or shorter.

Even better yet would be a photo-processed shop head gauge - snap a pic and the app shows a green light if the shop head meets mil standards for height and diameter.

Just dreaming.... :)

Neat idea. I'm sure it would take some sophisticated photo processing, but it would be WAY cool if one could snap a photo of an un-set rivet in a hole and have the app tell you if you should go one size longer or shorter.

Even better yet would be a photo-processed shop head gauge - snap a pic and the app shows a green light if the shop head meets mil standards for height and diameter.

Just dreaming.... :)

That would require RRT, "rivet recognition technology." which would be quite a challenge! LOL

Yup.

Cool +1, and thanks. Seems like getting older, the mental math capability curve shifts toward more math, less mental. This helps.

Back