What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FreeFlight FDL-978-XVR and Transponder Control Data

n707sm

I have the FreeFlight Rangr FDL-978-XVR Transceiver/Receiver, and am planning to *not* use the TC-978 Control Head. Based on the Installation documentation with the XVR, page II-1, it indicates "...Transponders with serial control data out capability (like the GTX-330/327/32/33 and SL-70/R) should be connected via an FDL-978-XVR serial port to control Mode A code and IDENT...."

I have a GTX-327, and I'm not finding any serial out pin that transmits "control data". Pin 20 appears that it can output Altitude data, but doesn't say anything about control data (IE: code/ident)

Further, in the same paragraph in the Installation Guide, it continues "...Mode A/C transponders without serial control data out can use the FDL-978-XVR internal Mode A receiver (configuration setting) which receives the on-board transponder transmissions to automatically set Mode A code and IDENT control data transmit."

So, now I'm totally confused. :confused: ...Does this mean that if I connect the transponder pin 20 output to the XVR Serial port 2 (pin 3) the XVR will figure out the Mode A code and IDENT from the transponder transmission (data stream)?

Help is much appreciated, thanks!
Michael

I would recommend you at least wire in a "dongle" for the TC-978 head for programing purposes, without it you have to have a special adapter plugged into the XVR and your laptop to program it.

The XVR also needs to be supplied serial altitude data from the same source that the transponder receives it's altitude data.

I was aware of the need for altitude data from the same source. Good suggestion on the "dongle" for the TC978 so that I can access the MPI if needed without too much hassle. Thanks!

FYI, I spent time last week completing the installation of this ADS-B in/out (UAT) solution (with a TC-978 dongle), and configured to obtain altitude data from the same source that the transponder receives it. The system powered on properly, the first time, and I went through the configuration with no issues. A test flight using the FreeFlight ADS-B View software on a iPad (via wireless) has the system operating normally. Conversing with ATC about the data they are receiving confirms all is well. Seeing traffic on ADS-B View is such a great assist, and by all accounts the traffic seen on the display matched what I (eventually) saw out the window. VERY COOL! Thank you Walt for making such a compelling offer (to VAF Members last winter) for such nice equipment, and for the excellent support you've provided me along the way! Now, just waiting for the upcoming integration with ForeFlight, and this will be a super solution!

Michael

Freeflight FDL-978-XVR and ForeFlight

Just a few days after my last post, Foreflight came out with version 7.1 that added support for the FreeFlight RANGR 798 ADS-B solutions! Whoopee! I now have ADS-B provided traffic and weather on the moving map in ForeFlight. This combination is an excellent way to increase situational awareness, and provide information for enhanced safety. A huge thanks to ForeFlight and FreeFlight for a great partnership!

Thread resurrection.

I have a 978 XVR with the control head and wanted to put it in an experimental I’m working on but trying to figure out what remote transponders that control head will work with.

The Trigg TT22 and other Freeflight transponders are quite pricey, but a Garmin 33R remote box isn’t very expensive comparably. Can I control a Garmin product with the Freeflight control head?

Thanks,

Back