What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 Door Handle

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I am officially releasing my door handle and my company, AV8R Designs.
And I'm finally an official advertiser on VAF.
As they say, necessity breeds invention.
The stock RV-10 Handles are just pretty blah. I wanted something that would look better, not interfere with the functionality of the Plane Around latch, and be easy to install.
In order to get the handle I designed made, I had to have a "batch" made. I put the extras up for sale and they went like hotcakes. So, now I'm offering them up for sale.
This is a 3 piece design, highly polished 6061 Aluminum.
Only requires a quick modification of the door pin. No cutting fiberglass. Installs in about 10 minutes. Great for already flying planes.
The kit includes 2 handles, 2 bezels, 2 buttons (plus a spare), 2 nylon spacers and detailed instructions.
Note: I've discovered that some RV-10 door pins are longer than normal, so I've included a nylon spacer for under the bezel. It can be sanded down thinner if need be. Most will be fine without it.

The Handle retains all the normal functionality in a sleeker more elegant fashion.
$205 shipped in the US (contact me for outside US shipping). Payment via Paypal
Email or PM directly, You can also go to my website:
www.AV8RDESIGNS.com

2vtnp01.jpg

oh1cll.jpg

5b8ak3.jpg

i2sp6a.jpg

I have some new products in the works as well. I'm also working on a T-shirt line that I think this crown will love.....

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

John, congrats-----------I know it has been a long time coming.

Thanks Mike.... Took a while for it all to come together. Took longer to get a logo done that it did to design the handle... sheesh!!!

We have installed on our 10 and very happy with product and vendor!!

Thanks Jack, you were the first person to get the "official" written out directions. I hope the install was easy. Incidentally, did you need to use the spacer? Just curious. Trying to figure out what % of doors are different.

I finally got my handles fitted about a week ago.

I had an issue with a gap between the flange and the door. It appears that not all doors fit the same way as the prototype. I was recommended to use plastic washers but couldn't find any the right size. Eventually I found some steel washers and bonded 2 to each flange. With a bit of filling and painting, I came up with an acceptable solution which looks good.

My opinion - nicely made product but need a bit a development.

I finally got my handles fitted about a week ago.

I had an issue with a gap between the flange and the door. It appears that not all doors fit the same way as the prototype. I was recommended to use plastic washers but couldn't find any the right size. Eventually I found some steel washers and bonded 2 to each flange. With a bit of filling and painting, I came up with an acceptable solution which looks good.

My opinion - nicely made product but need a bit a development.

Paul,
As you can see from above, the kit now ships with a nylon spacer. It took a while to find out that Vans has an inconsistency in how the door pins fit in the door.
I have extras in stock now and can send you a pair if need be.

Let me know thanks,
John

Aah. I didn't realize this was a new thread - thought it was your original :eek:

So, it HAS been developed......

Thanks for the offer of the nylon washer but I glued, ground to fit and painted the steel ones so the work is all done.

Works Great with ACS Locks

Finally got to install my own set of handles!!! And locks on our plane.
Based on what I've seen some others do, I had been planning on using the simple baggage door lockset to secure the door in a locked position.
I had specifically planned the height of the handles so they would clear the locks.
Turned out a little better than I expected.
For anyone wanting to do the same thing. I'll make up some directions.
The basics are: the lock center is exactly 1" from the door pin hole(double check your measurement), Bend the "tab" of the lock to hit the gear rack, also, we fount it works best and is strongest if you make the hole for the lock the actual shape of the lock. IE, flat on two sides, This will prevent the lock from spinning. It's a tight spot to get a wrench in to get very secure.

Locked, with lock hidden:

You can turn the handle just enough to get the key in to lock/unlock

In the full open position

Inside the door, Locked

In the stopped position where you can put the key in from the other side

RV-10 Door Locks in place!!

New Batch

Have a new batch of these handles fresh off the polishing machine in stock ready to ship.
Special VAF deal for the first 10 sets: $185 Shipped to the US. (Contact me for shipping to other locations).
Contact through ME here, email or website below.

Am also working on an anodized version in colors like Blue, Black, Red....

Have a new complimentary interior handle coming as well.

Back