What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barrett Precision Engines - Wow!

n707sm

I've been a member of VAF for some time, but have not posted much. But now, I want to share (as others have over the years) my positive experience with Barrett Precision Engines (BPE).

In February of this year, I pulled my alternative engine (Subaru, that has been running for 6 years) and everything else off of the firewall on my RV-7a. Also in February, I had researched Engine builders (here on VAF and elsewhere), and called several companies about their product and choices.

One of those builders was BPE, and I had a very nice talk with Rhonda, and she turned around a quote for an I/O 360 (Experimental), Superior components, parallel valve, roller lifters, balanced, counter-weighted, horizontal facing induction with Skytec light-weight starter. Their quote was competitive.

With several quotes in hand, I chose BPE. First off, because of the the continued good press that BPE receives here, and in general. Also, several other vendors I was contacting about the bunch of additional FWF components I would be needing (cowling/plenum, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, etc) also had good words to say about BPE.

The engine was built and test run on the dyno (186 HP) and shipped out in a very reasonable time. Since then, it's taken 5 months to get this 7a back in the air, and I'm totally pleased with the outcome. Over the course of the conversion (to Lycoming), I had several occasions to talk with Rhonda and Allen about the engine, and each and every time, they responded quickly, professionally, and always treated me as I was their only customer. It's very true (from my experience) that they are dedicated to producing a high quality product, and making sure the customer is happy.

This engine runs smooth, strong and it's a power plant that I just don't have to think about. I've got ~30 hours on the engine now, and I'm totally confident that BPE has provided me a solid, well-built, reliable engine. It's what every builder hopes to have up front! All I can say is "Wow"!

Another *very* satisfied customer of BPE.

Michael O'Brien

Last edited:
Welcome!

Michael - Welcome aboard the good ship VAF!!! Mike is just taking a break :D
Jim

W&B changes from Subaru to Lycoming

Mike and Laura graciously dropped by with the scales for my W&B prior to re-entering Phase I for this 7a engine swap. To be more complete with the posting, I need to get into the before and after details a bit more.

Before
* Engine: Eggenfellner 6-cyl N/A, water-cooled (circa 2007)
* Prop: Quinti-Avio 4-blade, electric constant speed prop
* Ignition/Fuel: EFII (from Eggenfellner)
* Exhaust: Eggenfellner, field-modified to straight, dual exhaust
* Cowling: Sam James
* Other info: Dual batteries behind baggage compartment
* A/C Total Weight: 1262lbs (CG was good, no loading issues)

After
* Engine: I/O 360, forward facing induction
* Prop: Hartzell blended airfoil constant speed prop
* Ignition/Fuel: EFII (by Robert Paisely http://flyefii.com -- excellent system btw!)
* Exhaust: Vetterman, Cross-Over for I-O 360
* Cowling: Sam James, plus new Sam James plenum (refitted cowling)
* Other info: Dual batteries moved to firewall (same battery make/model)
* A/C Total Weight: 1162lbs (CG is still good, no loading issues)

100lb reduction!!!! sweeeeet!!

Some general notes about the new FWF. It took some time to get the plenum baffling/tweeking just right, and now I've got CHT's within ~10 degrees during all flight profiles. Both Sam and Will James both provided excellent support during the conversion. In cruise (standard day) the temps are mid-to-upper 370's, with Oil temps in the 190 range. Typical cruise with the Egg FWF was 160- 164 KTS True. Now, my typical cruise is 169 - 173 KTS true.

Also, with the forward-facing sump, and Sam James cowling, I have a ram air effect, that produces ~2" additional MP. For example, I can get 24.3" MP at 6300 MSL on a standard day. Also very nice.

Since I've been flying with EFII (with the Subaru) for 6 years, it was a no-brainer for me to chose an EFII for the Lycoming. I chose Robert Paisley's solution, and it's a rock-solid, very well-made kit -- the quality of the parts and manufacturing are excellent. My options include the dual ECU system, and his Bus Manager as well, which make for a nice, clean setup that is simple to operate (I have two levers: throttle and prop), and the engine starts like a car. It's also expected that with this EFII, I'm pushing close to 200HP due to the efficiency of EFII. Plus, the support from Robert is superb!

A complete FWF conversion/swap out is quite an undertaking, but if I had to do it all over again, I would make the exact same product choices.

Michael

I debated whether to make that statement, but that's what I've read and come to understand, and that's why I used the term "expected".

I don't have any data. The only real way to prove this is to put the engine on a dyno, and I'm not about to pull this engine of the airplane to do that.

So, I will *redact* that statement, and allow the reader to form their own opinion of whether or not there are HP's to be gained.

I am happy with my choices, simply love this EFII solution (with dual ECU's), and would not part with it.

Michael

Michael, glad that with the new setup the plane is meeting/exceeding your expectations.

I debated whether to make that statement, but that's what I've read and come to understand, and that's why I used the term "expected".

I don't have any data. The only real way to prove this is to put the engine on a dyno, and I'm not about to pull this engine of the airplane to do that.

So, I will *redact* that statement, and allow the reader to form their own opinion of whether or not there are HP's to be gained.

I am happy with my choices, simply love this EFII solution (with dual ECU's), and would not part with it.

Michael

No problem Michael. I think EFII makes a good product! I just thought maybe you had some interesting data but that ok. Welcome here and I enjoyed reading you story about the changes you made!

Hi Joel. Thanks for the feedback because I really didn't intend to mislead anybody with that general statement :D However, I would be willing to gather flight data (RPM, fuel burn, AFR, MP, OAT, altitude, TAS, etc) if that data could help to determine performance numbers... I would need some guidance in order to *crunch* those numbers in a way to get some hint of the horsepower this engine is making...

...or is that approach valid?

Thanks,
Michael

Too many variables

No 2 planes are the same. It would need to be done on a dyno.

The maximum horsepower is not so much of interest to me. I would be looking more at how much HP it makes at say 8.8-10 GPH as compared to a Mechanical injection. I would bet you have some gain there.

Michael, Thanks for the report. Barrett and EFII are on my short list for engine and ignition/fuel injection. Hesitant to be all electric on the ignition and fuel injection. If I understand your post you have the dual ECU ignition with the fuel injection. I would love to hear your opinion after you get a chance to put some more hours on it.

I know that some folk get a bit shy by my promoting certain folk, but GAMI and APS do not promote or offer support for anyone who is light weight??.

Very interesting. Further confirmation that I (and others) have made a good choice with BPE.

(Plus, when they became aware of the posting about them yesterday on VAF, they (both Rhonda and Allen) were appreciative, and thankful. Just plain good people.)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Michael

Hi Michael,
It is so good to see you flying again, this is an awesome news and I think you will continue to be very pleased with your choice. Please let me know when you are in the area as I like to see the plane and perhaps go flying again.

Great job.

Happy you are Happy!!!!

Rhonda and Allen are two of the best people in this business. Their word is platinum, as are their products. It was no surprise to me that you are happy with the results.

Hi Michael,
It is so good to see you flying again, this is an awesome news and I think you will continue to be very pleased with your choice. Please let me know when you are in the area as I like to see the plane and perhaps go flying again.

Great job.

Thanks Merhdad! :D Been looking forward to hopping over the hill to KPVF, ...will be in touch.

Fuel flow comparison?

Mike and Laura graciously dropped by with the scales for my W&B prior to re-entering Phase I for this 7a engine swap. To be more complete with the posting, I need to get into the before and after details a bit more.

Before
* Engine: Eggenfellner 6-cyl N/A, water-cooled (circa 2007)
* Prop: Quinti-Avio 4-blade, electric constant speed prop
* Ignition/Fuel: EFII (from Eggenfellner)
* Exhaust: Eggenfellner, field-modified to straight, dual exhaust
* Cowling: Sam James
* Other info: Dual batteries behind baggage compartment
* A/C Total Weight: 1262lbs (CG was good, no loading issues)

After
* Engine: I/O 360, forward facing induction
* Prop: Hartzell blended airfoil constant speed prop
* Ignition/Fuel: EFII (by Robert Paisely http://flyefii.com -- excellent system btw!)
* Exhaust: Vetterman, Cross-Over for I-O 360
* Cowling: Sam James, plus new Sam James plenum (refitted cowling)
* Other info: Dual batteries moved to firewall (same battery make/model)
* A/C Total Weight: 1162lbs (CG is still good, no loading issues)

100lb reduction!!!! sweeeeet!!

Some general notes about the new FWF. It took some time to get the plenum baffling/tweeking just right, and now I've got CHT's within ~10 degrees during all flight profiles. Both Sam and Will James both provided excellent support during the conversion. In cruise (standard day) the temps are mid-to-upper 370's, with Oil temps in the 190 range. Typical cruise with the Egg FWF was 160- 164 KTS True. Now, my typical cruise is 169 - 173 KTS true.

Also, with the forward-facing sump, and Sam James cowling, I have a ram air effect, that produces ~2" additional MP. For example, I can get 24.3" MP at 6300 MSL on a standard day. Also very nice.

Since I've been flying with EFII (with the Subaru) for 6 years, it was a no-brainer for me to chose an EFII for the Lycoming. I chose Robert Paisley's solution, and it's a rock-solid, very well-made kit -- the quality of the parts and manufacturing are excellent. My options include the dual ECU system, and his Bus Manager as well, which make for a nice, clean setup that is simple to operate (I have two levers: throttle and prop), and the engine starts like a car. It's also expected that with this EFII, I'm pushing close to 200HP due to the efficiency of EFII. Plus, the support from Robert is superb!

A complete FWF conversion/swap out is quite an undertaking, but if I had to do it all over again, I would make the exact same product choices.

Michael

This is very good info, do you happen to have the fuel flow comparison?

Barrett

One thing that never seems to get mentioned about Barrett, they do not make the absurd horsepower claims that some shops do, such as the unnamed shop in Visalia CA. Barrett deals in the TRUTH, you will not hear claims from them about 250 horsepower four cylinder engine dyno runs.
They will also tell you candidly about how much various hot rod mods will shorten the TBO.
There may very well be some 250 hp four cylinder engines. They go to Reno on a trailer and fly at the most 5 hours a years. Not too much concern about TBO. One rumor at Reno was the the prop on the winning Sport Racer goes to the scrapyard after 25 hours. TWENTY FIVE HOURS total life for the prop which probably costs 30k.

This is very good info, do you happen to have the fuel flow comparison?

Good question, because up to now (see later in this post), I had not yet taken the time to work out the exact fuel burn with the I/O 360. First, my style of flying is fast. Always go as fast as I can. I never pull back (to save fuel). In fact, I don't ever recall doing that! :D

With the Subie, I flight planned for 10 GPH. Actual was usually 10.1 to 10.2.

Since you posted the question, I raced off to the airport, then flew about 10 minutes away to Carson City (KCXP) where the fuel prices are much better than those of my home airport (KTVL). I parked at the same spot, and filled it to the same level as my last fill-up. The flight time since fill-up was 3.2 hours. The gallons put in the tanks were 26.82, and that equates to 8.38 GPH!

This just keeps getting better all the time! :)

Of course, this is one fill-up, and one check. I will see how it goes over the long run, but this is very encouraging.

...I might even "pull back" to see just how much economy I can get out of this and still fly way faster than the spam cans

(...maybe, I don't know. I just have to go fast!)

Michael

Last edited:
Back