What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Bakersfield" aircraft

Clsjets

Hello everyone,

Can someone explain to me exactly what it means when an RV is described as one of the "Bakersfield" RVs. I am new to the forum, and it seems that the expression is used almost like a term of endearment...that it's a good thing.

Just looking for a little background.

Chris

I think...

...that a group of buddies, calling themselves "The Bakersfield Boys" built several 3s simultaneously, as a group.

Momentum

In the early days of RV's there was a lot of infectious momentum coming out of Bakersfield. Allan Tolle was the test bed for new kits. Every time a new kit came out Van had Allan build the first one. John Harmon used the RV3 as the first of several Harmon Rocket designs. I knew nothing about the RV's till I stopped for fuel in an airport near Bakersfield in the mid 80's. the FBO operator told me about an RV4 someone let him fly. What he told me about it, I thought to be very exaggerated or an out right lie. 2000' per minute climb, top speed over 200 mph. Inexpensive to build, and aerobatic too. (Yea Sure)

Well ordered the intro packet and did the research and found out it was all true.

Steve

RV-3

I rent space in my hanger to a guy with one of these. Nice plane. Got an CS prop and 170hp. Really gets up and goes. He has it for sale. It is the one on Barnstormers. He just doesn't fly it much anymore.

Bakersfield Planes

Hey, I am buying one of the "Bakersfield" planes this week. I spent 45 min talking to the builder last night and it was a real pleasure. I wont get to fly mine for a couple weeks, but she is really a nice build and I hope to learn more about this part of RV history as I get deeper into the RV community.

Any more stories/info would be appreciated.
Thx

Dave

RV3-A versus RV3-B

Can someone tell me the difference between a RV3-A and -B I believe it has something to do with the wing spar mod being done or not. is that right. If the wing spar mod is not done, what would be involved in correcting that problem. I am asking because I am looking for one.
Marv

The -B wing was a complete re-design of the spar and structure - it is essentially a miniature RV-7/8 wing. The original -3 wing could be modified into an "A" configuration, but it is still very different from the "B".

Paul

Can someone tell me the difference between a RV3-A and -B I believe it has something to do with the wing spar mod being done or not. is that right. If the wing spar mod is not done, what would be involved in correcting that problem. I am asking because I am looking for one.
Marv

There are three RV-3 models out there. The RV-3 was the original design and suffered a few spar failures. The RV-3A is essentially a modified RV-3. It has some stiffers added but retains the forward fuselage fuel tank. The RV-3B is the current kit offering. It has a different wing, which includes leading edge fuel tanks, like the other RV's (RV-12 excluded). Also the fuselage fuel tank has been removed and the spar attach points beefed up, I believe.

Wing tank myth and 3 wings

There are three RV-3 models out there. The RV-3 was the original design and suffered a few spar failures. The RV-3A is essentially a modified RV-3. It has some stiffers added but retains the forward fuselage fuel tank. The RV-3B is the current kit offering. It has a different wing, which includes leading edge fuel tanks, like the other RV's (RV-12 excluded). Also the fuselage fuel tank has been removed and the spar attach points beefed up, I believe.

This can be a complicated subject not rendering itself well to quick reply. If you've got an interest in the early 3, its probably worthwhile to budget some time for reading.

Wing tanks can be seen on type one, two or 3b wings. Check the registery at http://www.romeolima.com Out of the less than 30 or so non-b's, I count 4 of them showing wing tanks and I've got a type one wing with wing tanks myself not on the registry.

The only wing and tank combination that would surprise me would be a 3b without wing tanks, but even then, it wouldn't be a real shocker if someone mated a modern 3b wing to an old 3 fuselage that already had the fuselage tank, and in the pursuit of simplicity, they leave out the wing tanks, and just keep the fuselage tank.

So forget fuel tanks for a moment. We have 3 wings: type one, type two, and 3b. There are two change notices (CN) that can be applied to both the type one and type two wings. However, a non 3b wing may not match any of the categories. Some of the early builders seemed to be aware of the wings problems, so they built in fixes. If they were building when the CN's were available, they likely incorporated those, but others came up with their own solution. Sometime in the last year or two, I recall someone writing in this forum about a 3 they were looking at with a one piece wing!

This can make pre-purchase a bit more work. If it isn't a 3b, one really needs to get a good look into the wing with the cn-1 and cn-2 documentation handy, so you can figure out what was done.

Marv

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I was steered to a site called the unofficial rv3 web site and it has a very good, detailed explanation of the different models. It has certainly made me a much more informed buyer. Just my personal opinion, I am now only considering the B model or maybe move up to an RV-4.

RV-3A w/Fuselage Tank

I have a "3A" with a 22 gallon fuselage tank but would really love to have a total of 30 gallons for non-stop cross country purposes. How to add another 8 gallons is the biggest question in that regard; but I suppose if I ever added a "B" wing to it, I could just run with the fuselage and wing tanks and get there rather easily. I guess when I get some time I'll have to play around with the gross weight and weight and balance numbers and see what that looks like... :)

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A / O-290 G (D)

Back