What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Ordering Miscellaneous Parts / Fasteners

N941WR

Legacy Member
During the build of my plane, I found that if you deviate from the plans even a little bit, loose a fastener, or break one, you will come up short.

My tip of the day is to order extras of the following:
- Plate nuts in three different configurations for AN3, #8 and #6 screws
- Thin and regular washers for AN3 and AN4 bolts
- Extra bolts in various lengths and sizes both drilled and undrilled (Or just buy a drilling jig)
- Variety pack of nuts; lock nuts, castle nuts, etc.
- Cotter Pins
- Magneto gaskets
- Spark plug gaskets
- Sump gaskets
- Extra oil filters

Can anyone else add to the list?

(I simply ordered miscellaneous packages of each from Aircraft Spruce. Yes, it was costly but I no longer have to wait for an order of one bolt to arrive to complete some minor maintenance task.)

Last edited:
Well, my kit came with lots of extra hardware. I didn't deviate from the plans for a yota and had leftovers. I left behind almost all of it during the move but the good thing is I have guys like Bill at my airport. I can borrow any part on a short notice. Then order goes to Spruce and part is getting returned. Without interest btw. Once I dropped a spark plug and was so frustrated had to go somewhere in an hour. An A&P stopped by and asked what's up. I told him of cracked plug he gave me a new one then I didn't see him for several months. Always carried two new plugs as spares one for him and one for myself. The gentleman appeared recently I returned the plug. It's good to have guys like Bill at the airport :)

Tip

;)I just walk the 150 yards from my hangar to Aircraft Spruce East and get the part.

Critical extra hardware

Don't forget:
===============
Bolt Stretcher
Bolt Shrinker
Hole mover
Edge distance expander
Plexiuncrack fluid
Band-aids
Mercurichrome
Tetnus shot
Antineutrondiseminator and combination bottle opener
Fifteen second time reverser
Footfrommouth removal tool
and
Caliper with resolution to measure an onosecond

(I've need ALL this stuff)

CC

B&B

I'm glad B&B Aircraft Hardware was on my way to work!

I can just make it there and back on my lunch hour. Sometimes I wonder what normal people do on their lunch hour. Maybe everybody buys airplane parts. I do not know :cool:

For big orders I call ahead and they have it pulled. They are good people.

To add to The List ...

... copper crush washers of the sizes needed for the oil temp sender - and anywhere else they show up.
Another item for consideration is to keep a new set of brake pads and rivets on hand.

Back