What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dear Santa: Move along, got all I need!

catmandu

Well Known Member
Just over eight years ago, I sat down and started reading all the archived posts on this site. I was hooked. Convinced myself in about three days that I needed to build an RV-8 powered by a Subie. Made a list of hard-to-find-used-or-cheap tools and gave it out as Christmas present ideas. Got most of them. Then reality started to set in, and I was reminded of wants versus needs.

Life moved along, things changed, but I always came back here. To get smart. To live vicariously. To donate. I bought into an Arrow partnership, and had about 90% of my GA flying mission satisfied. Started doing some of those "some day" flights, like going to Sun 'n Fun with my Dad and my son this past year. Great times, but still, I yearned.

Well, about a month ago I started looking at a job that was a good two hour drive, one way, down a two lane road. The fit was right, but man, what a commute. Started talking to my wife about it, and "options" :) to make quality of life better. One night at dinner, I let my son know about the job and the changes to home life it might bring about. At the end of the conversation, my wife says, "Well, go ahead, tell him the best part!" Until that moment, I was not sure I had a green light to turn the two hour road trip into a twenty minute flight!

Sent SmokyRay and his band of misfits out on a search. A search that was successful! I found a VFR gap in this week's bad weather, flew out to Colorado, found a plane as described, signed papers, got checked out, and brought her home:

rARtFmdl.jpg

I even joined the 200kt club on the way home (okay, 50kt tailwind, but still, grinned and howled!):

MKw3DrCl.jpg

She's not what I first wanted, and not 100% what I want right now, but by golly, she's mine! Besides, where would I be without something to tinker with? :D

Last edited:
Mike,

Congratulations. There is something particularly satisfying about having your own RV so welcome to the club. If you ever find yourself looking for cheaper fuel to your south, stop by KXSA and say hello.

Good

Mike,

Your story is an inspiration! Thank for sharing.

You have done a good thing! Glad you made some of the right choices
Congratulations ! Have fun!,

I have been trying to get want-to-bees to do what you have done for years
Get a plane First, Fly a lot, learn to fly, define your mission, build when the time permits.

Last edited:
Mike

Congratulations on your new transport! The last time I bragged to a friend about a 55 mph tailwind from Durango all the way to Conroe he reminded me that the weather gods never forget. He was right! A week later I flew upstream all the way home!

Jim

Hey, I think I know that airplane! She knows the way to Oshkosh, that's for sure-- she used to belong to a volunteer friend of mine.

If you have any questions about your GRT equipment, give me a shout! (Congratulations, by the way!)

Last edited:
Atta Boy!

Glad you made it home safely Mike. She looks real nice in her new hangar. My loss, your gain, but she deserves to fly more than I was exercising her lately. Enjoy your new ride.

good for you

I was wondering if you got the airplane. Get some helpers and shine up the bottom like the rest of it. A few little projects and you will have a darn nice airplane.

Chris M

No, no, no, Mike! Big mistake!

Don't send Santa away. Just tell him you've been a "good" boy, and now you need him to bring avgas.

Congrats on a beautiful bird. Fly safe.

--
Stephen

Thanks all for the congrats! All day I wanted to do things RV related, but life kept getting in the way. This could be troublesome. :)

Back