What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV builder training courses recommendations

Maxfax

I'm New Here
I see that there are a number of places to get some initial training in building an RV. I need it, the biggest thing I have ever built was from IKEA! Are there any strong recommendations as to which place would be the best to go to? If there are any in Canada, that would be great!

Thanks

Rob

training

The EAA webinars are good as are their training schools but the latter you have to travel. I would find a builder near by and get your hands dirty. You will learn from an experienced builder in a very short time. Then build the two Vans training projects. After that buy some scrap, drill, debur, dimple, rivet, drill them out and repeat. Use all your tools and practuce on 470 and 426 rivets. The ability to drill out a rivet is almost as important as driving them.

SportAir

Hi Rob - I attended the EAA SportAir Sheetmetal Basics weekend workshop last month and it was fantastic. In addition to classroom instruction, we each built an airfoil with an aileron. In doing so you learn to what you'll need to know to build an RV, such as measuring, marking holes, drilling, cutting, riveting with pull and solid rivets, using both air and hand tools, and more.

They also have a course specific to building the RV series, and I think either would be fine. I definitely walked away confident that I could read the plans and build an RV or other sheet metal kit.

I think the cost of the course was $395, and was 8am-5pm Saturday and 8am-3:30pm on Sunday. It looks like the closest to Canada on their present schedule is in Oshkosh, WI in January, but they'll be adding their full 2014 course roster soon, and maybe there will be others closer to you.

Good luck!

Chris

Synergy helped me

I went to three courses by Synergy Air in Eugene, Oregon (www.synergyair.com). Probably the single biggest contribution to the success/completion of my project. Great facility, nice folks, super know how. They are building the factory built RV-12s.

EAA SportAir Workshops

Just attended the RV Building EAA SportAir workshop in Atlanta GA. Could not recommend it more. Was exposed to most of the tools which are used in the building of the actual aircraft. During the two day course was able to complete a small airfoil and have hands-on to the entire process. I walked away with a good "I can do this" feeling. Was also instrumental in my understanding of what tools I will actually need and what they actually do. Before this workshop, tool shopping was a bigger mystery.

Down-side as mentioned earlier was travel. I actually drove down from New Jersey to Georgia for this workshop (14 hour run) and I can say it was worth it for me.

Sounds like the EAA courses would be worthwhile. I see that there are no RV construction courses scheduled so far, but a few of the sheet metal courses are. I assume that they would probably be fairly similar. Thanks for the input.

Rob

Sounds like the EAA courses would be worthwhile. I see that there are no RV construction courses scheduled so far, but a few of the sheet metal courses are. I assume that they would probably be fairly similar. Thanks for the input.

Rob

I took the sheet metal class in Dallas last weekend - and my feedback would be to forget the RV building class and just take the sheet metal class. Talking to the instructors, they tailored the sheet metal class to more more of a kitbuilder experience. The project you will build hits all the basic elements of construction; and the project parts are stamped/pre-punched not unlike what you'd find in the RV kits.

Important to note that I didn't take the RV building class, but I've heard that the project there is less intense/hands on so the practical aspects aren't as valuable.

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you choose will work!

I went to three courses by Synergy Air in Eugene, Oregon (www.synergyair.com). Probably the single biggest contribution to the success/completion of my project. Great facility, nice folks, super know how. They are building the factory built RV-12s.

My wife and I attended the empennage course and the introduction to sheet metal course at Synergy Air in Eugene, OR. to start our project. It was, as douglassmt has noted, money well spent. I doubt we would have finished the airplane had we not started with Synergy Air. Wally Anderson and his team are the best.

Add another vote to those ftom Bryan and David for Synergy Air. You can take Wally's one-day intro course before deciding to take the longer ones. I found it invaluable. Excellent in every way.

--
Stephen

Back