What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did I get a 'Runt' instrument panel?

grayforge

Well Known Member
I've been looking at using Front Panel Express' FrontDesign to plan my panel. When I imported the Vans CAD Drawing for the RV-7 Slider panel, I see that it's about 11.7" tall. My panel is only 10.875" tall. The widths are the same at 41.43".

Did Vans switch to a shorter panel and not update their CAD drawings, switch to a larger panel and mine's just old (got it Jan 2013) or did I get the wrong panel?

Not a huge deal, since I don't think I need a taller panel (save a few oz. and get more knee room), but just curious.

One issue is: I tried trimming an inch off the DXF file via Illustrator and ended up with a bunch of error messages along the lines of "DXF-Spline is non-rational & weighted, Result may have wrong shape". So the CAD drawing won't work for me until I fix those errors. I think they were introduced by Illustrator altering the file.

This has come up before. If I recall correctly, I think the CAD file from Vans is the cut size for the panel blank, before they brake the bottom edge.

--
Stephen

Ah, that would make sense.

So maybe if I can figure out how to reset the origin to the upper left in FrontDesign, the extra material at the bottom won't matter. Just keep items away from it.

I tried to trim the bottom edge in a CAD app I just downloaded (Blender), but that looks like a whole 'nother learning curve that I don't want to spend the time on just to trim an inch off one drawing.

Thanks!
Russ

The best deal going is the Affordable Panels panel with a switch sub-panel on the bottom.

That will give you a lot of room for your instruments and a great place to put the switches / breakers.

Setting new origin in FPD

So maybe if I can figure out how to reset the origin to the upper left in FrontDesign.......

Russ, Hi

To do this in Front Panel Designer:

- Click the 'Set Origin' icon (circle with cross-hairs) at the top under the menu bar
- Press the 'm' key to bring up the 'set new origin manually' panel
- Ensure units is set as desired
- Input required co-ordinates and click 'OK'

I have used FPD to design and then order various engraved overlays for switches, CBs, etc for my panel. Makes it very easy (albeit at a cost) if/when you want to change wording of a label. Quality is excellent.

Steve

Hi Steve,

That was easy! Theoretically, Front Panel Express will be fine with that since I won't place anything in the area that's bent under at the bottom.

Bonus is, they are here in Seattle, so I can just drop the panel off.

Thanks!
Russ

Back