What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Keys needed in central California

Jackm

Well Known Member
Well I messed up....as I was unloading the plane tonight I caught the key in the baggage lock with back pack and broke it off. Does anyone know if someone close to Salinas can make me a new key for ignition switch? Does the number on key dictate key code so they can make new one? Other option is to next day air spare key from Wa but we are grounded till I get a key. Any help appreciated!!!

Jack,
If you remove the entire key switch assembly from the door I believe the lock mechanism can be removed from the housing. maybe you can also remove the broken key and just take the broken piece to home depot or lowes

Sorry, no help here, but after hearing this, I'm going to keep a spare key in the plane!

I use a single key for both doors, the baggage door, and the ignition... and I only have the single key on the keychain.

Sorry, no help here, but after hearing this, I'm going to keep a spare key in the plane!

I use a single key for both doors, the baggage door, and the ignition... and I only have the single key on the keychain.

I keep a spare set in the hanger and also have a set hidden in the plane accessible via an inspection cover removal.

Solution found

Thanks all for your help..had spare sent next day from Wa with parts we need for project we are working on.
I was a little ramped up after landing from this flight in the dark...no excuses :)
IMG_20160316_193154399_HDR_zpsz1utzmyz.jpg

You know, if you put that traffic display in unrestricted mode, for altitude.... it gets even more scary. Glad you negotiated the airspace to a safe landing in the dark. It is way more like IFR flying than some realize.
Spare key is an easy lesson, compared to NTSB reports we read.

While we are on this topic.......I purchased two blank keys from ACS with the intention of having copies made. Problem is, my local key guy could not copy the keys.....they were too small to clamp into his machine. Is this a common problem? Do I need to find a better locksmith?

Andy

Thanks all for your help..had spare sent next day from Wa with parts we need for project we are working on.
I was a little ramped up after landing from this flight in the dark...no excuses :)
IMG_20160316_193154399_HDR_zpsz1utzmyz.jpg

Your map is upside down! ;)

Glad you worked it out, I checked back in to see, and recommend a few RV'ers on the field that might be able to help.

While we are on this topic.......I purchased two blank keys from ACS with the intention of having copies made. Problem is, my local key guy could not copy the keys.....they were too small to clamp into his machine. Is this a common problem? Do I need to find a better locksmith?

Andy

Maybe. I only lost my locking fuel caps key. The locksmith I used had to come out to my hanger and pick open the locking fuel caps to take them to his shop and disassemble. I had him make several new keys of both the door and gas caps. He had the key blanks in stock and I picked the new keys up the next day. Not cheap though!

Andy

No, You need to purchase a file.....

Back