What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap tube travel distance

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Anyone knows the distance travelled by the flap tube as it comes out of the flap motor assembly? That is from fully retracted flaps to fully extended flaps (ie flaps connected) . Reason for question is I'm planning the installation of the POS 12 flap position sensor which has limited travel.
Thanks.
Johan

The linear movement of the flap motor is too great. You need to take it off the flap tube.

Some attach to the actuator arm outside the fuselage, others fit a bracket to the tube inside the tunnel. Either way, you need to make sure that the geometry is such that you do not hit the stops on the sensor. You want to use as much movement as possible for best resolution - maybe about 90%.

Mine was a bit trial and error. I also found that a small model aircraft turnbuckle worked well for adjustment.

The linear movement of the flap motor is too great. You need to take it off the flap tube.

Some attach to the actuator arm outside the fuselage, others fit a bracket to the tube inside the tunnel. Either way, you need to make sure that the geometry is such that you do not hit the stops on the sensor. You want to use as much movement as possible for best resolution - maybe about 90%.

Mine was a bit trial and error. I also found that a small model aircraft turnbuckle worked well for adjustment.

Photos please.

In mine case, I've spent quite a bit of time with trial and error. Where mine is at currently, is acceptable, but not perfect. I would like to shoot for perfect and get the whole travel distance handled within the POS-12 limits.

Here are some photos of what I did..
IMG_1941.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_1944.jpg

My sensor is mounted to a hinge on the bulkhead behind the left-right running torque tube, and attached to the torque tube with an Adel clamp. If you think about it you can arrange the geometry so the first 3 deg of (flap) motion translates to a relatively large linear movement of the sensor. This makes it easier to set up on the display to show that 'first notch'.

pictures??

My sensor is mounted to a hinge on the bulkhead behind the left-right running torque tube, and attached to the torque tube with an Adel clamp. If you think about it you can arrange the geometry so the first 3 deg of (flap) motion translates to a relatively large linear movement of the sensor. This makes it easier to set up on the display to show that 'first notch'.

Bob do you have any photos of this? I'm trying to envision how you go from an adel clamp that is perpendicular to the POS12 arm? Did you fabricate a small bracket out of aluminum angle maybe?

I have seen that picture but can't find it. The Adel clamp fits around the torque tube and a small angle bracket gets bolted to the Adel. The pushrod is then bolted to the angle.

Wish I could find that picture!

I have seen that picture but can't find it. The Adel clamp fits around the torque tube and a small angle bracket gets bolted to the Adel. The pushrod is then bolted to the angle.

Wish I could find that picture!

I can't find a photo either, but this (above) describes it. The attach bolt is not tight, it acts as a bearing.

Rotary Potentiometer

Not my idea ( Weasel's idea) but another option is to use a long stem pot with a actuator arm on stem to flap tube actuator mount. Very easy to install and calibrate.

Here is mine, I'm sure I borrowed the idea from someone on VAF..Thanks. I got it tweaked to use almost, but not all, the travel of the pos 12

2015-11-07%2021.00.12.jpg

Here is mine, I'm sure I borrowed the idea from someone on VAF..Thanks. I got it tweaked to use almost, but not all, the travel of the pos 12

2015-11-07%2021.00.12.jpg

I did the same thing, I but too can't get the pos12 to travel the full path of the flap travel. My only covers about 85%. When I get some free time, I'm going to move it to another location.

Back