What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oh no - another primer question?

bhassel

Well Known Member
First I'm all caught up on primer wars and rattle can versus...

Is there any special considerations for priming internally for corrosion resistance considering the pull rivets would seem to leave a 'hole' lot of access for mositure to collect?

Bob

I dipped each rivet shank in primer and set them wet. It's quick to do and who knows, it may even be worthwhile.

Incidentally Bob, your build log was one of the first I stumbled across some years ago when I discovered that there were great looking aircraft called RV's and people could actually build them. That was before I learned to fly. Never imagined that one day I'd be doing the same thing. :)

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yeah the RV-9 project languished with life events taking us through detours. I still think about finishing the nine, but after hitting a birthday milestone I'm starting to think of LSA and the RV-12. The completeness of the kit and instructions, along with pull rivets adds alot to the pull of the 12 as well.

I'll probably put in the order for the fastner kit this weekend just so I can feel like I'm nailed down and can start organizing. I'll order the emp in the next month or so and then get really friendly with NAFCO. Of course I'll shoot myself if the RV-14 turns out to be something along the lines of a 2+2 stretched 9, or high winger... :) I guess that would mean another project down the road :)

The bottom line for me is that no matter what model you just can't beat a Van's kit.

Bob

First I'm all caught up on primer wars and rattle can versus...

Is there any special considerations for priming internally for corrosion resistance considering the pull rivets would seem to leave a 'hole' lot of access for mositure to collect?

Bob

After reading ALL pf the primer threads, after listening to Van's, I decided to prime the mating surfaces. If I build another, would NOT prime anything. You will be in the ground before the plane has a problem. If you sell the plane to someone near the coast they can spray LPS. BUILD on! the RV-12 is a simple, yet sophisticated airplane. Go for it.

Marty's right. Rivets aside, I haven't primed as much as some others have, but my plane will wear out (and so will I) before it rusts out!

I primed all parts without alcad or powder coat. Works for me.

Just hit 250 on the Hobbs yesterday. The plane flies great!

LPS

its a commercial lubricant...rust preventative etc...used by Lockheed and others Available in spray cans like WD-40.

Also been dipping pulled rivets in etch primer. Have been spraying etch primer on overlapping/contact surfaces- not hard

Back