What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Rotax Fuel Pump - Emergency A.D.

yes...if you bought the kit with the hoses attached you probably have a bad one (hose). I'm sure it will be followed with an FAA AD which of course is only a mandate for the S model, the certified SLSA's (unless they say ALL). If you just bought the pump and used existing hoses you are okay.

Of course if I bought on with the hoses I would most likely change them out anyway if one hose has found out to be non fuel resistant.

That explains it !!!!!!!

I replaced my pump about 4 weeks ago and experienced a plugged orifice on the return hose after 1 hour. I pulled the hose and cleaned it. An hour of running later it plugged again. I ordered a new orifice from Lockwood and replace the orifice. It hasn't plugged again (3 hours) but I'm calling Lockwood tomorrow and see what they say.

I thought it was debris in the line caused by the original fuel pump failure. So far (100 hours) I've had 2 pump failures and 2 plugged orifices. :mad:

Like my wife smuggly said after she experienced her 2nd pump failure.."I guess thats why they call it experimental":eek:

Jersey

Fuel pump

Rotax just issued a Revised Serice Bulletin ASB-912-061 today..........
Description of what & how to do it plus new parts Guys......

Yes

Yes, the pump came with new hoses but there is a bayonet fitting block where a total of five hoses, the carb., supply, return, and pressure transmitter hoses manifold together. I thought that debris had lodged somewhere within that arrangement and floated loose. The return line orifice is located in the bayonet fitting serving that hose and it is about the diameter of a small sewing needle. There was very little debris in the fuel seperator and the screen was intact and installed properly. The debris must be comming from the new pump assembly.

I will be reading the new bulletin.

Jersey

Rotax

To be honest, I am somewhat stunned. Rotax has prided itself in years and years of modern day engine development and has one **** of a following...for good reason. The engines run well, are extremely light and sip car gas. On top of that, they have a GRU that actually works and a 2000 hr TBO.

Then they go and buy what they claim to be a state of the art fuel pump system (the original AC unit reminded me of a Renault) and they let a vendor attach a non fuel resistant hose to it? How do you develop a complete fuel injection system and not follow up on a simple thing like "will fuel eat up this hose?" Obviously, some out-sourced vendor said, "no problem."

I feel sorry for the people that are grounded and of course the replacement part doesn't even exist yet (unless you're experimental). Then there is the cost which the owner will no doubt suck up as well.

Bad karma Rotax.

This is really curous

I checked my Engine Serial number and the fuel pump P/N ans S/N--and found that my engine is not in the list (though you do have to search the ASB-912-061UL instead of the ASB-912-061 to find them), and the fuel pump is the same part number, but not on the list of affected Serial Numbers--so I have a hose that is OK, but they don't yet have a source of any hoses that are OK for fuel pumps within specific serial number ranges? Where did my good hose magically come from?

I read this announcement a week ago and nowhere could I find any hint that this problem is related to hoses that would have a problem with fuel. I don't know where that rumor came up but it makes no sense. If it was a material problem then pretty much all the new fuel pump systems would be affected and not just a few as it is right now.
Although this is just an assumption, I believe(!) that the debris might come from a faulty manufacturing process where the hose might have been damaged on the inside and loosening debris from this damage could then lodge the carbs downstream. However, I have no information to back this up other than deducting this from the small number of affected pumps.
I have to admit that I am also a bit surprised that Rotax would not show the extra care in trying to fix a long time problem with the fuel pumps. I expected a little bit more from the market leader...

Last edited:
As PeterK noted - this is a GROUNDING AD. Anytime an AD uses the words "before further flight", that means you are grounded. While an EASA AD (or an FAA one for that matter) may not be viewed as mandatory to the amateur-built community, it had best be considered very carefully. Ain't too many of those out there.

MacPara - the AD language itself says "The affected fuel hoses may not have been fuel resistant in accordance with the specification" (1st paragraph - top of page 2._

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob, you're right of course, found it now. Well, that's seriously shocking that Rotax would let something like that pass QC.

Back