What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new builder fiberglass ques

JRo

Well Known Member
I've spent the day perusing RV-12 builder blogs in anticipation of the arrival of my 1st section in 2 days. Thinking this was an (almost) all-metal airplane, I was surprised by the amount of fiberglass work to be done in the cowl/canopy area on a couple of the blogs. Is this a big part of the building process?

Also, after speaking on the phone with Big John, I've been creating extra space for inventory and storage of parts. I figure on completing sections in the basement, then moving to and storing in my hangar 2 miles away for final assembly, hopefully in warm weather.

Jim

It's not a big part but it will seem like it when you are doing it. The finishing is time-consuming and not one of the most fun bits, unless you are inclined to working with glass. But it's not horrible and you can probably find help if you need it.

Your building plan sounds fine. I built the tail and wings of my RV-6A in the living room of a 2-bedroom apartment and I don't think that's the worst location I've heard of. Building in a hangar now is just plain luxury for me, but I don't recall being put out by working in cramped quarters. The biggest problem was the aluminum shavings in the carpet.:rolleyes:

I was dreading the fiberglass work also based on what I had read. Turns out it was one of my favorite parts of the build.

I think you will find things you think are going to be a chore are easier than you thought, and things you think are going to be easy and take an hour, take all day. The most important thing I learned during the build was I could do it all. So can you, one step at a time.

Good luck.

Fiberglass is a love/hate thing for me. I love the flexibility and what can be done with it (including fixing your mistakes...), but hate the mess of sanding dust and sticky resin. Just another skill you'll pick up along the way though - don't dread it.

Paul

fiberglass

Patrick, Paul & Larry,

Thank you. Fiberglass ain't my thing. At first, when I saw this builders log, I thought he was patching some horrible damage from a forklift or something in the delivery process! I was lead to believe this was an assembly process, not construction. Oh well, I'll take that step when it comes along, right? First the tail. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time....

Thanks again.

Jim
RV-12 newbie

Jim, you can purchase a ready made layup from Viking, but I can't recommend it. I have seen the product close up and was not impressed. It requires a fair bit of trimming to fit. The bottom line is that the layup that you fabricate on your canopy will be heavier, but imo will be much stouter. The lay-up takes a little time but was interesting. Prior to using the West System of resin and hardner, F/G work always made me sick from the smell. No problem or odors with West. This is no big deal, just follow the manual and it will work.

all in all

We are by no means professionals when it comes to fiberglass. Do a little research, use the west system...and follow the instructions by VANS. No problems. our canopy fairing came out fine. The cowling is not bad, tedious work, but nothing overwhelming. check out the buildsite below, we have good pictures of the fiberglassing process for the canopy. Good luck.

Patrick, Paul & Larry,

Thank you. Fiberglass ain't my thing. At first, when I saw this builders log, I thought he was patching some horrible damage from a forklift or something in the delivery process! I was lead to believe this was an assembly process, not construction. Oh well, I'll take that step when it comes along, right? First the tail. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time....

Thanks again.

Jim
RV-12 newbie

You will do just fine with that attitude. Building an airplane is just a series of 100's of smaller projects all coming together.

Jim,

The fiberglassing is not hard, just frustrating because it is a skill most of us have to acquire as we go. The layups are pretty easy to do, albeit messy. Screw-ups are easy to fix. The hardest part for me was being brave enough to aggressively sand and contour the layup to make it smooth and bump-free. I got some help from an experienced body man - my painter - and that was invaluable. I could do the second one in 1/4 the time. When you get to this step I'll come down and give you a hand.

John

Tony T....

Excellent workmanship, and EXCELLENT crisp, clear photos. I bookmarked the site for future reference. Many thanks! :cool:

Back