What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount

Hi all,I'm fixing an RV4 and I need to replace engine mount for a 320.
Where the best sourch for evalutate to restore mine or replace with a new ?
Thanks in advance and happy X-Mass

Alex Tonini

Are you looking for one with short legs or long legs?
The engine mount is different between the 2 options.

I have a short leg one laying around (Switzerland)

Alex,

Last year when I found a crack on my engine mount, Van's had me contact:

Steve Furjesi
Experimental Aircraft Metal Fabrication Inc.
693 Curtis Hill Rd.
Chehalis, WA 98532
(360) 245-3478
Curtis Airport (Seattle Sectional) Identifier 0WA2
www.super-12.com

He is the person who now makes the engine mounts for Van's. Since no two mounts are exactly the same, he made a jig from my old mount and then welded up a new one in the custom jig.

The replacement mount fit perfectly.

The reason he didn't just weld up my original mount was that it would "move" when heat was applied and he was afraid it wouldn't fit when I got it back. Also, because of the location of the crack, it would be more work to cut out the bad tube and reweld everything than making a new one.

I would try the one in Switzerland first. The custom mount cost $2,000 plus shipping.

Good luck!

Last edited:
For a new RV-4 mount you will need to get that from Van's. I build the RV-4 engine mount for Van's, If you want to send me some pictures of what you have I'll let you know if it's worth repairing or if you should go ahead and buy a new one. [email protected]

For a new RV-4 mount you will need to get that from Van's. I build the RV-4 engine mount for Van's, If you want to send me some pictures of what you have I'll let you know if it's worth repairing or if you should go ahead and buy a new one. [email protected]

Sorry Russ, I didn't realize they had different people making the mounts.

Back