What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Permanent heater installation for hangars

Vansconvert

Well Known Member
If all goes well I'm going to buy a used Hangar that currently does not have heat. I would like to install some heaters on the ceiling. Does anyone have a recommendation of which way to go. Thanks very much

We bought and installed a home furnace that runs off a 100 gallon propane tank. It heats the air in the hangar in no time but the floor stays cold and eventually your feet get cold and whole body gets chilled. Next time it will be a Geo-thermally heated floor.

Hint: buy local.

Less obtuse answer: Racine is the home of Modine Manufacturing. You can't go wrong with a Hot Dawg forced air heater. You didn't mention any specifics about size, insulation, etc. but a Modine is pretty much the standard for hangar heat in this part of the country.

I'm 20 miles west of you at 57C, 40x32 with a 75K btu Modine. Contact me directly if you want more details.

I have a 36'x48' (14' ceiling) building in the upper midwest. I use a low intensity gas infrared tube heater hung from the ceiling. As noted above, they heat objects and not air. Very common in aircraft hangars and other large buildings. It works well.

I have a 235,000 btu torpedo heater. It will bring my hangar from 20 to 75 in 10 minutes. I have foam yoga mats that click together like foam legos that cover nearly all of my hangar floor.

Works great. For $500 all in.

Sprucemoose/Jeff, I flew Skynights at 57C for 6 years back in the day. Fun! Anyway, I actually have a 75,000 BTU Modine hanging from the ceiling in my garage at home. Overdize too be sure but heats it up in no time then runs as necessary. Love ir but the floor is cold and the ceiling hot. I am looking for additional ideas. I appreciate your input.

You did say this was retrofitting an existing hangar so that's a factor. New construction- no doubt I'd go in-floor heat but that's not your option. Modine is the easiest install. I also put in a couple ceiling fans to move air around- that helps.

Radiant heat is an option but more work to install and more $.

Back