What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans wiring harness kit

Really should think this over in my Humble opinion

I purcahsed one of those kits for my RV 7 and the big advantage is the wire selection (i.e. gauge of wire)has been chosen for you. The bundle makes many assumptions though,as it must do, in order that you get what you need.

Assumptions are:
power draw - do you use led or conv. lighting, are you using landing lights etc.

THE BIG one is are you putting switches up as per the VANS drawing?

In my case the power draw matched but the bundling of wires was totally wrong for the panel i am putting together.

Outside of the time to put on the connectors the purchase of the kit was a waste for me, as i disassemble most of the bundles and found the ones left would take only a few minutes to do.

If i built another, and i wont! I would decide on all my electrical components, then my panel and build my own. It really isnt that hard when you get to it going one wire at a time and having read a few books on amperage draw and wire gauge size.

Good luck
Dave

Unless you are wiring exactly per plans... I wouldn't do it again...

I got the kit not the harness.

Even so, the kit was laughable compared to what I finally put in the airplane to work with the hardware I was installing...

As others have said, the kit gives you a good start in some areas, especially if you are completely new to this sort of thing and are intent on doing it yourself. Beyond that it is a waste.

The kit worked very well for me. No Modification. My panel is simple with Dynon 180, Icom Radio, Garmin Transponder, Garmin 495 GPS and flight com intercom. I used vans Switch/breakers per the plans. Bundle of wires all worked out. No real changes were necessary. I added a few small things like interior lights, but everything just ran to the appropriate terminal that was hooked up to the breaker switches. I would use it again.

I did add terminal blocks at the wing roots under the seats for wires coming in from the wings.

Back