What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt fasteners installation question

PeteP

Well Known Member
I have access to a partial Skybolt fastner kit. I want to replace the aft upper cowl hinges with these Skybolt VLok fasteners. I have more that enought floating fasteners (SK245-4) to span the entire area and a few fixed fasteners (SK215-4).

My question is.... is there any reason to not use floating fasteners all way across the upper cowl vice the instructions that call for using 3 floating fasteners on the each lower side and the remainder being fix fasteners?

Last edited:
All Floating

I installed my cowl with all floating skybolt fasteners. That is what came in the RV-10 kit from them. I am not flying yet, but seems secure enough.

Floating

I had all floating fasteners on my RV and I had problems with the cowling moving. I can't remember who I talked to at Skybolt Fasteners but they shipped me a bunch of rigid fasteners to replace the floating ones at no charge to me. I think I now have half rigid and have floating fasteners. My cowling doesn't move it all now. They're very nice to deal with.

Eddy

You want fixed fasteners in the top center span, preferably all the way across. Fixed fasteners positively locate the cowl. Floaters are just for those spots where it may be hard to get a fastener lined up and down into a fixed socket.

Back