What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing conduit in a QB wing

chopperchops

G'day everyone,

I'm a newbie poster here, but love the information on the site. Be gentle with me :eek:

I am building a QB RV8 and have a question regarding wing wiring. I have been in deep thought for some time now about the merits of using conduit, or running a laced harness through 'P' clamps in the wings. Has anyone got specific thoughts on this?

If you have used conduit in a QB wing, how did you route it? I cannot see how it is possible to drill the holes in the ribs, especially through the wing walk area. I was considering one of the lightening holes.

Pictures would be AWESOME! Thanks everyone.

Conduit can be run in QB wings, but it is no fun. I used a 12 inch drill bit and 12 inch extensions for a couple of unibits. The hardest part is pulling the conduit through the wing walk area. I routed it where Van's recommends.

Search the forum for this. Plenty of info on this subject.

I ran solid plastic pipe from Home Depot's aviation department and suspended it in the lightening holes. I used Goop to cement the pipe to the brackets so it wouldn't move.

Worked great!

Hi Rob,
Having just done this very operation I will share what I can. Sorry though. I took no pictures during the process.
First off I elected to mount my conduit through the ribs in the approved location as opposed to through the lighting holes. I taped short segments of conduit in various positions and then hung the bottom skin and tested sticking my hand through the access panels to simulate maintenance. What I found for me was that I personally disliked having the conduit through the lightning hole. Either the conduit was in the way of the aileron bellcrank or the aileron bellcrank was in the way of the conduit. When the conduit was in the position approved by Van's it seemed to be out of the way the most.
The instructions on placement and how big a hole you can put in the ribs is here.
It took a while but I found a thin wall (about .012") polycarbonate tube with an OD of about 9/16" that fit very nicely through a -10 snap bushing. The tube is tough, abrasion resistant yet flexible enough to not require a laser straight path through the ribs and the -10 snap bushing will fit in the allowable 3/4" hole.
I figured out if I had a drill 12" long I could get through the four ribs in the wing walk area and from there out I would use a short bit in an angle drill and go in through the access panels. You can get all the remaining ribs doing it that way until you get to section without skin and life gets easy again.
I made a little fixture from a piece of scrap aluminum that I could clamp to the rib with a side grip. The fixture just had a #30 hole in it at the correct location and the idea was I would drill a #30 pilot hole through the rib and then the plan was to follow up with a step drill to 3/4". I shaped the fixture piece to somewhat conform to the lightning hole shape so i could get a relatively consistent location as I moved it from one rib to the next as I was drilling. This would get me a set of holes through the ribs that were relatively straight.
I had a step drill that topped out at 3/4" but I had to find an extension for it. Problem was, all the extensions were click lock types and the shank on my step drill was too big for the universal extensions I could find. After a couple days looking I gave up and took my step drill to a friend and we turned down the shank of the step drill in his lathe.
Once all the plans and tooling had been made it was an easy chore. I started at the root and clamped my fixture on the end rib and drilled a #30 pilot hole. Then I opened the hole to 3/4" with the step drill and moved my #30 fixture to the next rib etc etc. I would not recommend attempting to pilot drill all four wing walk ribs at once. To me that just seemed a way too easy way to make a large alignment error in short order. The root rib has no issues, even the second rib in has no issues but the third rib will be drilled in perfect line with the holes in the first and second rib so they better be perfect. As I said, I elected to pilot drill a rib, then open it up. That allowed me the ease of drilling through tighter and tighter quarters without having to worry about alignment.
Once all the holes were drilled and opened through the wing walk area I switched to short threaded bits in an angle drill for pilot holes and had the step drill in a collet that could be threaded into the angle drill. After all the holes were drilled I spent quite a bit of time ensuring the hole edges were smoothed with no burrs.
If you still want pictures of tools or procedures I can stop by the airport Saturday and take a few.
Hope that helped.

conduit routing

I bought a cheap uni bit from Harbor Frieght and welded a long piece of steel tubing to it. Drill from both ends. Then I ran 1/2" drip tubing though the holes. I also chucked a drip coupling in the lathe and cut off both end and used them to hold the tube in place. Much easier to pull the wire through with the smooth wall of the drip tube.

I bought a cheap uni bit from Harbor Frieght and welded a long piece of steel tubing to it. Drill from both ends. Then I ran 1/2" drip tubing though the holes. I also chucked a drip coupling in the lathe and cut off both end and used them to hold the tube in place. Much easier to pull the wire through with the smooth wall of the drip tube.

+1 on what Dan said. Leave pull strings in and secure with zip ties at both ends.

Did a VAF search and couldn't find a link that showed pics. Here are a few.

2hzqvjn.jpg

fyd44m.jpg

2eptrtw.jpg

For the life of me, I can't understand why Van's doesn't punch conduit holes in these ribs when they are forming them and punching the rest of the holes.... I imagine most folks would be glad to pay small $ extra in order not to have to spend hours on a QB wing drilling these holes.

Hello Rob,

We did it like post #2 in this thread but used black flex conduit rather than PVC…
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=95090

The plastic 3/4 inch Suspension Clamps we got from Home Depot here in the States, made by www.oately.com . You probably have something similar there.

Lots of good info on VAF but sometimes hard to find.
You can use Google Search to look for threads also by entering
site:http://www.vansairforce.com/community/ wing conduit
In this case searching for wing conduit info, but substitute any subject there.

Good luck with your build.
pk

Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for passing on your methods, and thanks for the pics. I think I will buy myself a lathe and start getting creative!
I have tried several search methods, but now all my answers have come together.
Thanks again.
Rob.

Drilling the holes in my QB wings was the easy part. Used a couple 12" extensions.

The hard part was pulling the conduit through all those holes. You have to sort of pinch the conduit on one side to fold the side in a bit, allowing it to slip through the holes easier.

Placement

I put my conduit towards the back of the wing. If your going to use a connector at the wing root there isn't much room to get your hands in by the main spar.

Eddy

drilling

I used a 60 inch long piece of 3/8 dia. brake line from Auto Zone, slid a step drill with 1/2 inch (or what ever size you need) max cut. The step drill needs a 1/4 inch shank with flats. I then used my 3 jaw chuck on my lathe to crush the tube on the flats. One could use a hammer to do this if no lathe available. The flare nut works well as a guide on the first rib. Thanks Ron

Back