What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there an ADS-B NOTAM System?

jjhoneck

Well Known Member
We have been chasing down problems in our ADS-B in/out system installation for several months. We think we've got everything working properly now, but on yesterday's flight to San Antonio our GRT Horizon HXr EFIS was not depicting any traffic.

Interestingly, it *was* displaying traffic along the Texas Gulf coast, but not around the much busier airspace of San Antonio.

Thankfully, we have the Nexus 7/Garmin Pilot/GDL-39 combo running in the back cockpit (which has been invaluable for troubleshooting the in-panel installation), and it, too, was not displaying ANY traffic.

This seems to indicate a problem with the ground-based portion of the ADS-B system itself around San Antonio -- but how would we know? Thus, the question: Is there any place I can check for a NOTAM on the operational status of individual (or area) ADS-B transmission towers?

Be careful what you ask for.....

I found this little gem on the FAA's website that seems to be effective as of April this year, that describes how NOTAMs of this type are supposed to entered when problems are either known or anticipated. Read the bottom sections of paragraphs 5-3-7 and 5-5-7.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ntm/not0503.html#5-3-7

Some of the key phrases of the NOTAM are supposed to be:
NAV GROUND BASED TRANSCEIVER OUT OF SERVICE
NAV GROUND BASED AUGMENTATION SYSTEM OUT OF SERVICE
NAV GLS NOT AVBL

Having said that, I am not able to find any currently active NOTAMs in the system from either the FAA website or my apps at work that pertain to these conditions based on text searches of the above.

If you want to try to search for these NOTAMs, the FAA website for NOTAM searches is:

https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/

To get the big picture you probably need to search for these NOTAMs as well as any other GPS notams or WAAS NOTAMs that may also be contributing to some of the problems.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back